Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alone in the wilderness

1. I also grew up in Alaska. When I was a teenager, about ten years ago, we built a log house that my parents still live in. We cut trees off of our property, all spruce, and drug them to the building site. Then we peeled the bark off with drawknives. When the walls got to high for us to lift and stack the logs we made ramps out of other logs and then pulled logs up the ramps with ropes. It is very hard work, and the guy in the movie did it all by himself.

By the way this is my first post so I guess this works as an introduction. I now live in Montana and I am just starting to get into woodworking with hand tools. My experience is all with power tools, so I will be asking alot of questions. This is a great site, lots of good info here.

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Heidelberg View Post
    I also grew up in Alaska. When I was a teenager, about ten years ago, we built a log house that my parents still live in. We cut trees off of our property, all spruce, and drug them to the building site. Then we peeled the bark off with drawknives. When the walls got to high for us to lift and stack the logs we made ramps out of other logs and then pulled logs up the ramps with ropes. It is very hard work, and the guy in the movie did it all by himself.

By the way this is my first post so I guess this works as an introduction. I now live in Montana and I am just starting to get into woodworking with hand tools. My experience is all with power tools, so I will be asking alot of questions. This is a great site, lots of good info here.

Clint
    Clint

Let me be the first to say welcome to the Creek, the water is nice here and so are the people, sounds like a good time building the log house even though it was hard work.

Heather

PS You may want to start a new thread to introduce yourself to the community.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

I've watched it over a dozen times, liked it so much I went out and bought one of his books, One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey. Didn't think it was possible but it was better than the documentary, but it was, how did they leave out the bear that attacked him and his cabin?! Going to get this second book soon.

I have watched it a few times, wonderful heart warming (for a woodworker and outdoors type person that is) movie.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Just got it from the library yesterday and watched it. Very cool.