Thread: chip schaffner, since we have a waterlox person here...

chip schaffner, since we have a waterlox person here...

someone asked me recently about a natural finish on an exterior door. the paint stores, of course, point people toward polyurethane spar varnishes, i suspect because they have short lifespans and therefore, probably the most long term profit.

i've always used deck stains for such exterior applications in the past, but after mentioning to someone else that i use waterlox indoors they pointed out to me that you have a "waterlox marine finish" that seems to be described as having a similar composition to the original varnish only with a UV additive.

is that the case? not a poly product (so that it can be recoated without removal)? what kind of service life should one expect from your exterior varnish say, in comparison to other deck stain type exterior oil varnishes in ~8 hours of daily sunlight?
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 09-17-2009 at 8:46 PM.

UV light will break down any finish over time. As you know anything exposed to UV needs to be vigilantly maintained.

Our Marine Finishes are made from Tung oil and a special resin that provides a barrier that stands up to marine and exterior exposure and reflects the UV instead of absorbing it. They are not the same as our Original Sealer/Finish or our interior products.

The question really is how much direct UV light?

If the wood will be exposed to partial UV light (e.g. a covered porch or a North facing open deck), we suggest 1-2 coats of Original Sealer/Finish or Marine Sealer (depending on the porosity of the wood), followed by 2 coats of Original Marine Finish. Our Marine Finishes are made from Tung oil and a special resin that provides a barrier that stands up to marine and exterior exposure and reflects the UV instead of absorbing it. Our Satin Marine Finish also contains micro-fine pigments to screen UV light in addition to UV light absorbers.

When the gloss begins to fade, this is the key to knowing that the UV rays are beginning to affect the finish and that it’s time to re-coat. You do not need to sand down to bare wood to refinish the surface; simply clean the surface and apply another coat of Marine Finish.

Waterlox should not be applied over outdoor pressure-treated lumber or on horizontal working surfaces, such as decks. We suggest using a product designed specifically for this application.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Chip Schaffner - Waterlox