Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Dresser

Walnut Dresser

I've looked at, and enjoyed many projects posted to this forum over the last year or so. Here is my first post. I have not done any cabinet work like this for many years. Here is my first in over 15 years. It's inspired by a Walnut Highboy posted by Gene Howe many months ago. Thanks Gene. I changed mine a bit. The finish is Tried and True Danish Oil from Lee Valley. The drawer slides rebate into the sides producing a very clean look. All of the panels are bookmatched. The three top drawers come from one piece of wood and the drawers below are bookmatched as well. I started this at the beginning of July and it will head upstairs this weekend. Thanks to all for the inspiration I get from this forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice

This piece of furniture is outstanding. You're at a level I hope to reach someday. Thanks for posting this...I love it!

Welcome to the creek, and great intro!! Paul, that is a beautiful piece, excellent style, and you did a wonderful job on the grain match. Walnut is such a pleasure to work with.

This will be a family piece for generations.

Excellent job with great book-matching. Just a well done piece from any angle you look at it. Welcome to the Creek BTW...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Very well done, I like it.

6. Great Job I love the use of the grain. You did a great job with the book match. Looks like there was no loss of skill over the last 15 years
    Harod

Great job on the dresser Paul.

And welcome to the Creek.

Wow what an introduction!

Paul, welcome to Sawmill Creek. That is a stunning chest. I hope to be able to do work at that level some day. Thanks for sharing.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Paul, you know how to make an intro - great first post!
    Beautiful work on the dresser!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Great work Paul, love the curve on the base.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression, and I'd say you succeeded in making a great first impression. Outstanding first post !!!

Like has been said, I love the book-matching on the panels.

Although, upon taking a second look at this, I noticed the dovetail joinery on the drawer cross-members that I didn't see intially. I'm sure there's a more technical (correct) term than cross-members that eludes me at the moment, but that's all I can think of. It's Friday night.....well you know the rest.

Love the subtle use of those dovetails on the main body of the piece. Gives it an added character, like it really needs added character. The piece is full of character, IMO.

Fine work, Paul. Welcome to the Creek.

T
    Please try to explain what you think you don't understand!!

Excellent job! I love the look of walnut. The finish on this is beautiful, and a nicely executed design. Great great work!

Irv

Very nice!
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Creek. This is a great place, with great people. Your dresser is outstanding, every detail covered. How thick are your panels? Can you give us some details on the construction.

Sam

can u please explain the drawer slides? i'd love to use something like that on a future prodject.