Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Because Lowes had a sale on Lathes, I just turned my 1st Bowl!

Because Lowes had a sale on Lathes, I just turned my 1st Bowl!

After Lowes put the Delta Midi on sale, I decided I needed to have a lathe in my woodworking shop. Anyway, I spent the better part of the weekend observing others turning bowls at the Central States BBQ and this week I decided to give it a try. I have never turned anything on my own, so I was truly a rookie.

This bowl was made from a piece of firewood from a Bradford Pear tree that fell over during one of our summer thunderstorms. I am starting to understand why so many get the turning bug as bad as they do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jack Diemer; 09-27-2004 at 11:27 PM.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Jack ....nice first bowl! ........but Jack......the world is flat....the world is flat....the world is flat....keep saying it Jack.....you'll believe....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Don't listen to him, Jack!

WE GOT YA!!!!!!!!!!

You are lost to the FLAT world and are sliding down the slippery slope of Turning.

Next thing you know you'll be a Woodcraft getting 30% off Sorby tools! HeHe

I wish my "First effort" was at nice as yours.

Bruce

Woodcraft didn't get me, but someone else did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Great job on the first one.

I tried to buy a nice round side scraper, but the heavier duty ones are not on sale... so no sale.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Thumbs up

Jack Thats a nice bowl!
    Great job!
    Jim

Very cool! Who'd ever guess that was a first attempt?!

Oh Yuh! We got you good! You're ours in the world of round!

The wonderful thing about Woodturning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part.

Bruce

Nice bowl! My shop has a concrete floor and I have worn a trail in it going from the "flat" world to the "round" world. I love them both and I am particularly happy when I can find a project that encompasses both worlds. One thing about turning is that it allows use of wood that otherwise might end up as smoke. Good first bowl!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Jack, good for you. The bowl look great. I was secretly looking for one of those deals myself, but our Lowes in this part of the world don't carry the lathes. I guess, in providence, I was meant to be a flat earth kind of guy I'm glad you found one though. Looks like you've taken to the round stuff pretty quickly. Way to go!!!

You must have been studying those guys work pretty closely. That's very good for a first time 'round You may have just found your calling. I hope my first attempt look half as good.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Jack that is a nice bowl. You did a nice job on the curve which continues nicely to the bottom. I seem to have trouble with that. Very nice.
    John

Beautiful bowl! I just might have to try this turning thing

Jack, that's an absolutely wonderful "first effort"! Man, I was *adding* a LOT to our firewood pile before I got something that nice! Keep it up....You're doing great!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

So Jack,

When do you want to stop by and pick up some green Walnut and Box Elder logs for bowls 3,4 and 5,6? I have lots of logs available.

Steve, drop me a e-mail