Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reclaimed Pine Bed/Shelves

Reclaimed Pine Bed/Shelves

I picked up some 'barn wood' from a turn of the century barn near Chas. SC. I've attached a picture of how it looked when I brought it home. My wife's thoughts were the monkey grass below the wood was worth more than the wood. Anyway, I took inspiration from the Taunton bed book, the shaker bed, with some modifications. Primary wood is the reclaimed pine, secondary wood poplar. Finish is Watco danish oil and wax. Also, with some of the 'less desirable' barn wood that I picked up I outfitted a closet with some shelves. Inspiration and hardware came from John Louise Homes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks beautiful mash! good job recycling that wood

Blog Entries
    Mash,
    Great looking wood and a great looking bed......... I imagine that old pine had some tight growth rings.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Mash,
    You sure did a great job turning barn wood into treasure!!

Excellent work, and I love the warm look of that old pine. Your design is very well done, and neat use of "leftovers" in the closet.

Query - how did you get around the 5 pic limit on a post?? Has that been changed?

I wish I could find wood like that.

look at how many rings are in your vertical grained pieces..

too bad we can't get lumber that good anymore

John,

Not sure how I overcame the attatchment limit. It did stop me at the amount I put in though...so maybe they up'd the limit.

Zack,

With the recession we see more barn wood available on craigslist. Often though, it is in large lots that a home owner/hobbyist would not be interested. I was lucky in this case though......let me paint the picture.....I arrived in my 1990, 300,000 mile corrolla with the towing package, hauling the cut off rear end of a 1970 ford courier with a 12 pack in hand. The seller and I hit it off, awing over some of the wood specimens and enjoying a couple of beverages. After a couple of hours of dismantling, and watching his kids I gave him what we thought was fair and parted ways. Hope to get more soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mash Jones View Post
    Zack,

With the recession we see more barn wood available on craigslist. Often though, it is in large lots that a home owner/hobbyist would not be interested. I was lucky in this case though......let me paint the picture.....I arrived in my 1990, 300,000 mile corrolla with the towing package, hauling the cut off rear end of a 1970 ford courier with a 12 pack in hand. The seller and I hit it off, awing over some of the wood specimens and enjoying a couple of beverages. After a couple of hours of dismantling, and watching his kids I gave him what we thought was fair and parted ways. Hope to get more soon.
    This has got to be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time! True Southern Charm! ...and the bed is real nice, too!

Very nice work! I love the simple lines of the bed, and the nice straight grained pine goes well with it. I think the butterfly in the headboard was a nice touch. I didn't even notice it until I looked a second time.

-Jeff

wow, is it normal for old growth pine to have that sort of color?
    fledgling weekend warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Wood View Post
    wow, is it normal for old growth pine to have that sort of color?
    I should probably let Mash respond, but yes it is.

That along with the beautiful grain, is what makes it such a find. It actually machines so much better than new growth stuff - all round a joy to work with.

Thanks for the kind words all.

Tommorrow after work I'll take a picture of end grain of some of the left over material that I took the legs from. I counted > 25 rings per inch in the 4x6 that i took the legs from.

John, you'd know about the color better than I, as this is my first time with old growth heart pine. It is gummy stuff though. Ran through plenty of sand paper on this one.

On the headboard there is actually a small crack propagated by a nail hole. My take was this gives the piece more character, but I did not want to ignore it and have it look like a flaw that was missed in the execution.
    Thus my first butterfly on the head board. A subtle one though, with the same material that the legs are made out of.

As far as the southern charm goes, my arrival in all my 'style' has been known to provide some serious comedic relief, but it also means my daughter and son typically cruise with mom.

John, you'd know about the color better than I, as this is my first time with old growth heart pine
    John, I think he just called you old
    fledgling weekend warrior

A little late for the party, Mash. My computer got taken down with lightning early Mon. with our weather which you are familar with up the road there.

Very nice build there.. I'm guessing you used Watco Cherry Oil to get the color?. The bed looks great and I grade it 99%.. the 1% is that showing bolt head on the foot-board. Is there a reason you didn't plug it?

Again excellent build and a great use of that barn-wood....

Regards from down the road a piece....
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler