Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reclaimed Pine Bed/Shelves

Quote Originally Posted by Mash Jones View Post
    Thanks for the kind words all.

Tommorrow after work I'll take a picture of end grain of some of the left over material that I took the legs from. I counted > 25 rings per inch in the 4x6 that i took the legs from.

John, you'd know about the color better than I, as this is my first time with old growth heart pine. It is gummy stuff though. Ran through plenty of sand paper on this one.

On the headboard there is actually a small crack propagated by a nail hole. My take was this gives the piece more character, but I did not want to ignore it and have it look like a flaw that was missed in the execution.
    Thus my first butterfly on the head board. A subtle one though, with the same material that the legs are made out of.

As far as the southern charm goes, my arrival in all my 'style' has been known to provide some serious comedic relief, but it also means my daughter and son typically cruise with mom.
    yeah, the sap never really comes out entirely. i actually find that sanding it less makes it smoother, at least on greener stuff, since the sapwood is abnormally soft, and the rings abnormally hard. a quick pass with 80, and another with 180-220, should do it, anything more can actually cause it to move with the heat from sanding and make it worse than it started from.

the highest i've seen was 125ish rings per inch from an old beam taken from a warehouse in new orleans that my stepbrother's employer did some work on, that was built in the mid 1850s. they struggled to cut it with a persistently oiled chainsaw...
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 09-24-2009 at 8:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Wood View Post
    John, I think he just called you old
    And, there are days Brad, where it would seem he made a good call!!

good job!! Its always more satisfying when you use reclaimed lumber..good work
    Jerry