Thread: 4" PVC pipe to 4" dust hose

4" PVC pipe to 4" dust hose

I've installed all my overhead 6" PVC ducting and now I want to get from the 4" PVC at the machine end to my 4" hose.

What's the trick here? Obviously, the 4" PVC is 4" on the inside (which I didn't consider when designing). I haven't tried anything special at this point, but haven't seen any adapters around either.

Can I just heat the hose to soften it (like in hot water or something) or are there adapters or other tricks for making this connection?
    Stan

Rockler

I am not sure what kind of PVC you are using, SCH20 or 40, but Rockler has some PVC to flex hos adapters. They say that they are for SCH20, but they will work for SCH 40. You will just need to seal them up with a little silicone or something. Should do the trick for ya. Check them out here:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20383

Hope this works for ya.

CHuck

A 3" to 4" reducing coupling works also. If its sch 40 the inside of the 3" end can be bored out on a lathe for max flow.

Ed

I missed the Rockler adapter - thanks for the link Chuck

I'm using the green S&D PVC. It has a 4" ID and 1/8" (.125) walls.

After thinking about it some more - I suppose a 4" hose coupler would also work if a guy has to use a silicon sealant when going from PVC to ABS.

I'd think that going from PVC to hose has to be a common issue though.
    Stan

Take a piece of your 4 inch pvc 4 inches long, cut it length wise you can then overlap the edges and insert it into your 4 inch pvc mark the overlap and cut on that line you now have an adapter that fits inside your 4 inch pvc and your hose should slip over the adapter you just made. Its quick to do and basically free.

I hope I explained that clear enough.
    Thank You
    Ed

Another option might be 4" HVAC pipe. I cut some 6" pieces from a length of pipe and used it to join 4" flex hose to 4" gates, etc. It might be worth a try.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

If you're using Schedule 20, I've found that the quick connect fittings for 4" hose fit into SCH20 fittings.

So, I'd go:

Sch20 pipe --> Sch20 coupler or 90 deg el --> 4" qc fitting --> host.

Just FWIW, hose seems to vary...

Check out this Youtube video featuring an amazingly charming demonstrator of just how to make 4" Dust Collector hose fit on 4" S&D PVC. (The white stuff).
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Okay, I just had a "well . . . duh....." moment.

I have some 4" blast gates that I'm wanting to use. So, you big dummy (me) just shove the blast gate into the pipe, put in a couple of set screws, and done.

I had a mental block were I was picturing the blast gate at the machine end of the hose.

Sheesh!

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    I am not sure what kind of PVC you are using, SCH20 or 40, but Rockler has some PVC to flex hos adapters. They say that they are for SCH20, but they will work for SCH 40. You will just need to seal them up with a little silicone or something. Should do the trick for ya. Check them out here:

Hope this works for ya.

CHuck
    Silicone, thats funny! I have the same fittings and mine had the same directions on it too..I was using 2729 S&D fittings and had to BEAT them in with a rubber mallet! No silicone required. I don't think I could get it out if I wanted to. They work great.

rockler rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post

Hope this works for ya.

CHuck
    rockler is like looking under a rock you never know what you can find.

Woodcraft, if there is one near you, has a number of adapters. I have a box full of various contraptions. Sorry, I can't tell you which models work, it was all sort of trial and error. One other hack - if the fit is close, but lose, a little duct tape wrapped around the inserted portion seems to do the trick.