Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Casualty

First Casualty

Still unpacking and to my dismay my little jointer now has more parts than it came with! Base broken right under the cutter head, half in two definitely not repairable. Good news is I now have two good boat anchors. Bad news is no boat...or jointer. I've read several posts about "glue-up ready" table saw cuts. Myth or fact?
    Also...anybody know about a 6" jointer (not a benchtop) on the cheap? I was told in wood shop(oh so many years ago) that a jointer was probably the most important tool in the shop.
    MIckey

find a used one

What brand did you buy? Find a used , older jointer somehere, eBay or Craigslist. Check the Old Woodworking Machines website to learn all about it. A very important machine in your shop, along with a table saw. Don't give up, and keep asking quetions!
    TB

It used to be a Delta 37-275X. Now its three very large doorstops. I'm not a wood worker yet, but I am a machinist. These units are gound together at assembly. a new base won't jive with the in/out feed tables.
    I'd like to find a similar machine...just don't have much free cash right now. I'd like to find a non- broken 6" by 60" for 20 bucks(KIDDING!!!). NOt in a rush as I have access to a DJ20 at work. At least until I quit working and start playing. Won't be long now

4. I got one off eBay and ended up having it arrive beat to snot by UPS. Packing was next to none. I didn't spot it till a long while after, but there's a good fracture in the head which causes a shift on feed.

Sucks to have something break that bad on a planer. Dang part's like $150.

So how'd you break it, anyway? Don't think I saw any background on the issue.

You sure it couldn't be welded?

A good welder can do wonders........

6. I'd seen somewhere where someone restoring an old bandsaw welded the parts and then sent those stabilized parts off to be cast. Ended up being fairly economical.

All depends on what's broken though if it's a decent idea.

Blog Entries
    Seems there is a steady supply of 6" machines coming from folks up-sizing. I'd shop used if I was getting a 6". Somebody got mine ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    I got one off eBay and ended up having it arrive beat to snot by UPS. Packing was next to none. I didn't spot it till a long while after, but there's a good fracture in the head which causes a shift on feed.

Sucks to have something break that bad on a planer. Dang part's like $150.

So how'd you break it, anyway? Don't think I saw any background on the issue.
    The base casting is split on both sides directly below the cutterhead. couldn't have done it better if I tried. The break occurred during shipment. The load shifted and and something came down on it. All of my big tools were packed face down on the floor of the Conex on a sheet of closed cell foam. The Conex was loaded on a truck(Wife has a lot of truck driver nephews) and driven to Texas. I can only blame myself for not adequetly stabilizing the load inside the container. Forklift driversare rough with things, and there's a lot of bumpy roads 'tween Tennessee and Texas.
    The part could be welded, I'm sure, but the accurracy of the top wings would be an issue.As we were told at Delta, The major castings were assembled and then ground together. I siply don't have the equipment to repeat this process, and Machining costs would exceed the value of the tool.
    I am watching the CL's within driving distance, but no soap as yet. Once my check arrives and clears ( have sent a check to the Creek) and I achieve Contributor status I fully intend to take advantage of that status.
    I have approximately 9000 pounds of tools and accessories, some that I will never use. Hope to do some swapping with local Creekers.
    BTW, anybody out there located in the RGV. I'd love to get some face to face with folks that actually work with wood. Though I have the tools, my WW experience consists of 7-8 years of framing and roofing, many many years ago. The tools were all purchased during my employ wit PC/Delta, where I worked as a machinist and later in the reconditioning shop. I know almost everything about them, except how to use them. I bought them for my "Golden Years", which are fast approaching.
    Gotta get another cup of coffee...spell checker's working overtime this morning.
    Thanks for all the options guys.
    Mickey

don't know how much you want to spend but I have a Grizzly G0452 I'm getting ready to sell. It only has a couple of projects for mileage on it. I've since upgraded to an 8". Only mention because I'm in the Houston area.

Not much right now...only a couple hundred in the tool kitty. That and I don't(not yet anyway) have a true shop space. Right now the tools are being re-assembled and checked out and moved into a shed off the end of my porch. Planning to build a room off the side of my trailer Part of which (approx 20'x12') will be my shop. Electrical is also a problem, as the trailer has a 100 amp service(to be upgraded as soon as Brother in law the electrician arrives). Planning on dedicating a 100 amp service to the shop. Should be adequate, as it's only me, and I can only run them one at a time. I've been lurking the work shop forum quite heavily trying to plan up a a usable shop. 20x12 is small I understand but for a hobby shop, and everything on MB's it should fill the bill.
    Mickey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    I've read several posts about "glue-up ready" table saw cuts. Myth or fact?

Mickey
    For years before I inheirited my jointer, I would rip and glue up wide panels using only my TS and a smooth cutting blade. I can't recall having a joint failure and many of the items are still in use. What you do need is a well aligned saw and a smooth cutting blade. I would recommed a Frued LU82 M blade. It sells for about $40 and give very smooth rip and cross cuts. Glue joints do not have to be absoultely perfect for teh glue to work. Most glues have some gap filling ability, usually several thousandths of an inch, without impairing the strength of the joint.

You can always clean up the saw cut with one pass of a good sharp hand plane.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    For years before I inheirited my jointer, I would rip and glue up wide panels using only my TS and a smooth cutting blade. I can't recall having a joint failure and many of the items are still in use. What you do need is a well aligned saw and a smooth cutting blade. I would recommed a Frued LU82 M blade. It sells for about $40 and give very smooth rip and cross cuts. Glue joints do not have to be absoultely perfect for teh glue to work. Most glues have some gap filling ability, usually several thousandths of an inch, without impairing the strength of the joint.

You can always clean up the saw cut with one pass of a good sharp hand plane.
    Thanks Lee, Actually that is my intent for now. I've got an older model contractor saw (Delta 36-441B) which I intend to upgrade with at least 1 CI wing. As to hand planes, alas I have none...soon to change (I hope). I do have a multitude of TS blades, though. In the recon shop we had to replace non Delta with the standard,oem blades. Lucky me...I got to purchase them at scrap metal prices...about 19cents a pound at the time.

Keep watching the list, there are plently of 6 inchers around.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    I was told in wood shop(oh so many years ago) that a jointer was probably the most important tool in the shop.
    MIckey
    I would agree with this, that is not the whole story of why I own three, a Stanley/Bailey #8 and two Stanley/Bailey #7s.

Sorry to hear of you misfortune, but a hand plane does not have size limits to the stock being used. They take up less room than the electrical jointers. And my doctor likes that I am getting the exercise.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My only experience with a hand plane was with a Stanley "Jack" plane. Dont recall the number as it was a long time ago. When I get the shop built, I will definitely invest in a few. Years ago when I was young and working as a laborer on a San Francisco remodel (pre 1906 Nob Hill mansion) I watched an old man do amazing things with moulder planes with hand made knives. The image has stuck with me all these years.
    Though I cannot hope to reach that level(HECK, THE GUY WAS 91 IN '68), I do intend to, in the time remaining, to pursue the things that impressed me as a young man. Several of you guys remind me of Abe. Patient to a fault and always willing to pass on knowledge. Guess that's why woodworking is the second oldest profession.