Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best tool for rounding over

But when in doubt, I just break out the rasps and finish the job.

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser View Post
    But when in doubt, I just break out the rasps and finish the job.

Yet another worthy addition I need to explore at some point. Any suggestions on where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Any suggestions on where to start?
    Once or twice a year most major distributors offer a sale of Nicholson #49 and #50 Patternmaker Rasps. They are precision instruments. Buy a set. Add some large, well-worn, single-cut machinist files in various shapes available at most flea markets, and you have all you need. Machinist files used following the fine rasp will still cut wood nicely long after they've given up the ghost on steel and brass, and will save you gobs of expensive abrasive paper in round work.

Later if you find the need, you can add a round rasp or two and perhaps a super-coarse rasp for speed-hogging out entire gunstocks prior to bringing the patternmaker rasps into play. They generally work faster than hand planes, and considerably faster than spoke shaves.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...88&cat=1,42524
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 11-18-2009 at 12:44 AM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    I have been playing around with various methods, and thought I would give an update. I tried using an LN 102, and it was nice, but I just couldn't really justify having another block plane, so I did not keep it. I next tried an LN spokeshave. This is a really nice tool, and I have used it for multiple uses. I really like this tool. But, for long pieces, like tabletops, sometimes it can be pretty uneven for me. So I am not entirely sold on a spokeshave for this method either.

So, my next experiment is this:
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,64284&p=64284...
    There's a Preston Chamfer shave that I have that works just great for this job due to its upside down V fencelet. Also, there are chamfer guides for drawknives that have similar, but bigger, fences. Of course, both those solutions should be more expensive than that great LV plane you've picked out; but something to keep in mind as one peruses the auctions.

Pam

And if the job calls for it, using a tailed tool efficiently requires the same skill as any other.

cornering

Steer clear of those little cornering tools mentioned earlier. get the grain wrong and your tearing up some wood.

i picked up the 1/4" hollow and round from lv works great lot faster then a block, just finished 8 walnut legs with it, was quite enjoyable