Thread: MM16 Dimensions

MM16 Dimensions

Hi all. I've been lurking here a few weeks learning from you all, particularly from the bandsaw discussions. After reading all these threads I think I'm about to get an MM16 and am planning on picking it up myself. (This is for the Blue Hill, Maine shop, not Austin.) I don't see the actual dimensions anywhere on the Mini Max web site. Could one of you who actually have one of these tell me the following dimensions: total height, width of the "backbone", width of the widest component (I assume that's either the table or the base.), and the total front-to-back depth.

Eric at MM tells me the best way to transport these is lying on their back, so I'm trying to work out the best cradle to set up the pickup bed to secure the machine.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Ralph

Ralph,
    Height: 73”
    “Backbone”: 7˝”
    The “Widest Component” or measurement would be from the front fence rail to the end of the motor on the back side, which is 25”
    Table size is 18” X 24˝”
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hi Ralph. I picked up my MM16 at the Dallas WW show last December. Just like Eric said, two of us loaded it into the back of my pickup. Get yourself a piece of carpet for the saw to slide on as it is loaded. Mine came with the mobility kit, a good option to have, IMO. The mobility kit give a little wider base for the saw when it is on its back. Anyway, the two of us loaded it up and I tied some bungee cords from saw to side rails in several spots. It traveled just fine over the 65 mile trip from Arlington to McKinney. Even a quick stop due to some troglodyte in front of me.

Unloading is the reverse of loading, Duh, so listen and watch/help the loading process, you need to do it at the destination. Remember the MM16 weighs in around 420 pounds so it does need TWO of you to get it in to, out of, the truck.
    Best Regards, Ken

I'll need to let someone else who made a recent purchase provide the dimensions as I have an older model MM16, even though it was picked up in January. The new version has 2" additional resaw height and I don't know if the whole machine is taller or not.

No cradle necessary...the "back" is wide enough to provide good support if you have it appropriately tied down. The piece of carpet or similar material is a great idea and will make sliding it out easier. And when it goes on the truck...it should go in top first! You want to be able to slide it out and down on the base. (Just ask Chris Padilla about that... ) Of course, since you're going to pick it up yourself, Mini Max will load it in properly anyway.

Congratulations on your new bandsaw to-be!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I picked mine up about 6 weeks ago and it was in an open crate(?) constructed out of 1x4s. I left it in the crate and layed down on the back side. If you do this no other padding is required. It is also very easy to tie down if left in the crate.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph DaFoe

Eric at MM tells me the best way to transport these is lying on their back, so I'm trying to work out the best cradle to set up the pickup bed to secure the machine.

Is Erik D. back at MM? I liked him, "no spin zone" type of guy. (same as Jim S., the boss/owner).
    Last edited by nic obie; 09-18-2004 at 9:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nic obie
    Is Eric D. back at MM? I liked him, "no spin zone" type of guy. (same as Jim S., the boss/owner).
    No. Different Eric. Erik Delaney is working for Felder/Force up "this way". Agree with you about Jim Strain and company. Great folks.

And front of table to back of frame is 32". You sound like you already know this, but I'll add it anyway, do your purchase frome Maine and avoid the Texas sales tax of 8.25%.

Thanks for all the information. Sounds like maybe I'm making this up to be harder than it really is ... other than the need for a couple of linemen.
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by nic obie
    Is Erik D. back at MM? I liked him, "no spin zone" type of guy. (same as Jim S., the boss/owner).
    I think it is Erik Loza. He sold me my MM16. Can't say enough good things about him and the whole MM16 experience.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr