Thread: Gramercy saw vice

Gramercy saw vice

Wondering if the Gramercy saw vice is of any interest to the saw filers out there. I have one on order (Oct delivery) because my existing antique vice just feels too loose. Seems the way to go for me. I've looked at building one out of wood but I have other projects to do first.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...tml&BlogID=131

GT-SAWV.gif

Eric

Never saw it until just now. It looks like a pretty well thought out vise, but I won't be buying one anytime soon. I made my own out of wood and it works just fine.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Why is your old saw vise too loose? Are the jaws not parallel? I'd look at it and figure out how to fix it if I were you. You can file the jaws up to make them parallel. Take a look at it.

I also have one on order... if it's like the rest of his tools, it will be great! I can't wait to get mine!

Blog Entries
    I have bought a couple of old no-name saw vises. The first was worn and had to have a wedge jammed in to keep the jaws tight. The second looks like a Disston, but the only mark is a 5 incised into one jaw. Both of them set me back less than $30. The first one was off of eBay, the second was in a funky antique shop (same one where the rust bucket #7 of fettling fame was purchased).

If I had the spare cash, I might consider buying one of the new ones. But that is just the way I am.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Reply to George - Loosness

George, my vice had been damaged at the pivot and brazed back together, The pivot itself was replaced with a standard bolt. The jaws don't clamp very tight and you have to hold the jaws in alignment when clamping.
    it is a no-name brand and really has no value, not even for parts.
    However, I got it for free, so the education I have gotten so far from using it has helped me make the decision to continue to learn how to sharpen my own saws. Because I work a full time job (not woodworking), my time is limited to build my own. As all the tools I've gotten from TWW, I am sure the new vice will work as intended.

Eric