Thread: really dissapointed in new amana bit.

really dissapointed in new amana bit.

my customer bought one of the new amana miterfold bits rc 1045. it is supposed to be a 45 degree total bit or 22.5. but after cutting the parts and seeing they were off I checked the bit and it is about 42 degrees. this is way off for a bit and a high end cnc bit. so if I get a new knife will it be off too? makes me wonder.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Wonder how that got through their QC. I wonder how many 42-degree bits they manufactured?!

well it is the cutter not the bit. but I am wondering if it was designed that way since it is a miter fold bit. maybe that way it has clearance since you don't cut through.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Amana bit

Steve,

You might want to try a Whiteside bit vice the Amana.

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd

they did not have the right one. Amana was the only one we could find with a 22.5 angle that was made to plunge.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    my customer bought one of the new amana miterfold bits rc 1045. it is supposed to be a 45 degree total bit or 22.5. but after cutting the parts and seeing they were off I checked the bit and it is about 42 degrees. this is way off for a bit and a high end cnc bit. so if I get a new knife will it be off too? makes me wonder.
    Steve, what tool did you use to check the angle on the bit?

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

an angle gage. not sure if that's the right name. it has a flat plate with the angles and a bar that rotates.
    the woof of course is the easiest to test. put the two pieces side by side and they don't align up.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    an angle gage. not sure if that's the right name. it has a flat plate with the angles and a bar that rotates.
    the woof of course is the easiest to test. put the two pieces side by side and they don't align up.
    Thanks, I was wondering how accurate the guage was that you are using.

I have never used this type of cutter from Amana or any other company for that matter but my first thought was that your spindle is not plumb to the table. My newest machine required almost .035 in shims to make the spindle plum.

I was really amazed to hear that the cutter was off by so much. Good luck with this and please keep us posted on the outcome.
    Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Interesting that they say "for a perfect miter fold, use ...' and the 2 bits they mention are 91°. That makes sense to me, since you're not cutting all the way through you need a wider angle so the inside edges touch at 90°. And they list a 46° bit which should do the same for a 45° corner.

But why yours is 42° is a mystery. Unless there's some shear angle that's messing with your measurement. But if the parts aren't right ...

Since you mentioned 'the 2 parts don't line up', I'm guessing you're cutting all the way through and just looking for a 22.5° face?

Steve,

I have one of those and made some miterfold riser boxes out of mdf and it worked fine.

I got the one that is called out as 91deg and you should leave an onion skin to fold the box together. I have even seen (but not used) packing tape used on the face side to hold the parts together.

The tool should be more like 45.5 to fold well.

Nick