Thread: Will a Closed Base on my Belt/Disc Sander Improve Dust Collection?

Will a Closed Base on my Belt/Disc Sander Improve Dust Collection?

I've got a combo Jet belt/disc sander JSG-96 that is probably my worst tool for creating dust. I opted for the open stand rather than the closed base, and am wondering if the latter might help clean things up.

2. Question is, what kind of dust collection do you have attached to it right now?

Blog Entries
    I was looking at the manual and it appears that the one 4" port is used to collect from both sanding surfaces. There is a gate that is opened for collection from the belt and then (I assume) closed to improve collection at the disc. For this to work I assume the cavity that the dust port opens into is sealed other than those intended(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you stand back and watch where most of the dust is coming from, it's on the left hand side of the disc (assuming your's rotates CCW like my Delta). I dont think the under table DC and port do all that much. The belt's dust is pretty much at the base of it's table but how that is supposed to get trapped by the normal DC hookup is a mystery to me. The only thing I think that really works is to use a hood aimed at the offending part. I've just got a piece of flex hose with a PVC fitting on the end, aimed at either the disc or belt via a piece of dust hanger strap with some rare earth mags on it that I can position on different places on the sander chassis. it does a fai job but a hood would work a lot better.
    Use the fence Luke

I have that sander with the open base. If you look up at the bottom of the sander body, you will see that the bottom is sealed with a panel that looks like Masonite. I doubt the base makes any difference, as I am assuming the sander is the same, regardless of what base it is attached to. I have mine connected to a 2hp Grizzly canister dust collector and I dont get much dust at all off of the belt or disc.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

thanks for the replies. My new dust system (a 5 HP ClearVue Cyclone) is going to be quite a step up from my old Delta, so hopefully it will help. Just turned it on for the first time today, and WOW, does this thing suck (in a good way)! Have yet to hook it up to any tools.
    I thought that when installing the base that the masonite piece would be partially removed, allowing for a secondary dust outlet. Guess not.
    If the new DC system doesn't solve the problem then i'll have to figger a dust hood of some kind.