Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New place in NC

Mitchell,

Welcome to the beauty and solitude of the western NC mountains and to Henderson County. I've lived here for 5-1/2 years with my bride of 42 years after retiring from the day-to-day rat race and we love it in spades. Ironically, I recognized the house you bought immediately -- we knew the prior owners well through mutual friends and were saddened when first Loretta and then Ken died -- they were good people. Ken would never have left that lawn the way the realtor did -- definitely not his style!

You obviously got a great price on their home and will enjoy the peace and quiet there. I live on the north side of Hendersonville, off Mountain Road between NC 191 (Haywood Road) and US 25 in a nice 2,500 sf home with an unfinished basement that became my 800 sf shop. I'm also President of a local woodworking club with 60 or so members and can link you up with good sources of quality KD hardwoods and local woodworkers that enjoy the smell of sawdust (our last meeting was at Brian Boggs new shop in Asheville and we've had meetings with folks like Andy Rae and Gregory Paolini). Once you are settled in, we'd love to have you join us if you're interested. Our club has a website at wncwa.org if you want to contact me. Welcome to NC!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    Mitchell,

Welcome to the beauty and solitude of the western NC mountains and to Henderson County. I've lived here for 5-1/2 years with my bride of 42 years after retiring from the day-to-day rat race and we love it in spades. Ironically, I recognized the house you bought immediately -- we knew the prior owners well through mutual friends and were saddened when first Loretta and then Ken died -- they were good people. Ken would never have left that lawn the way the realtor did -- definitely not his style!

You obviously got a great price on their home and will enjoy the peace and quiet there. I live on the north side of Hendersonville, off Mountain Road between NC 191 (Haywood Road) and US 25 in a nice 2,500 sf home with an unfinished basement that became my 800 sf shop. I'm also President of a local woodworking club with 60 or so members and can link you up with good sources of quality KD hardwoods and local woodworkers that enjoy the smell of sawdust (our last meeting was at Brian Boggs new shop in Asheville and we've had meetings with folks like Andy Rae and Gregory Paolini). Once you are settled in, we'd love to have you join us if you're interested. Our club has a website at wncwa.org if you want to contact me. Welcome to NC!
    Bob,

We looked up the obits on the Powells just before the closing. Small world... Loretta founded (I think) the "Dialysis at Sea" program. Many years ago, one of the members of our church took a cruise shortly before she passed. I often wonder who champions causes like these and what happens to them.

Once we're in a settled, I'll make contact with the club.

We likely won't move for real until Spring. Making the shop - Ooops, STUDIO - plug-in ready will take time. Making a 10-11 hour trip to get stuff done doesn't help speed the process. I'll have time for perhaps 4 more trips by the end of the year. That's 80 hours driving. I try to make every hour count while there.
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 09-30-2009 at 8:55 AM.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

You are right about Loretta -- she was very proud of that program. Ken was founder of Matco Tools and both of them were very nice folks (it was sad to attend both of their funerals). I remember having cocktails in that nice living room with their collection of interesting objects from around the world.

Let me know when you are headed down for a work session and we'll have dinner together or pop a cap on a brewski -- if you need help with the "studio", I'd be happy to help you there as well. I'll PM you my contct info.