Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5th Anniversary gift

5th Anniversary gift

*Warning total noob content*

So Jessica(wife) and I just celebrated our 5th anniversary. Traditionally 5th year gift is either silverware or wood. I got a knife blank and crafted a knife and matching cutting board, it turned out so nice that I made a few more boards.

I was gifted a really nice vintage tool set and I'm finally getting a halfway decent shop setup in the garage. apparently my wife's Great Grandfather built a Biplane using the tools that i now have in my possession, I'm working on getting a picture of the plane to hang out in the shop

so this thing has a table saw, Jointer, disc sander, drill press, bandsaw, and a few more boxes of parts that i haven't even dove into yet. it uses one motor and a series of belts and pullys to run each attachmment.

nice board and knife. and cool score too! happy anniv.
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!

Welcome to the creek, Patrick!! Nice work, and that is a lot of knife!!

Looks like a great start on a shop, too.

Welcome patrick. Haveyou though about trying endgrain cutting boards. I saw someone use a broom to demonstrate the effects of using endgrain for cutting boards and it was pretty convincing.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Nice looking work and welcome. You have a basic set-up for a great shop there.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Hey Thanks guys, Ive seen a few of the endgrain boards on this forum, I may have to try to make a few in the near future. i think the next project may be some wooden baby toys for my daughter and some of our friends babies. Christmas gifts I'm thinking(any ideas?). I gotta get some kind of heater out in the shop.

last night I found all of the original manuals for my "Delta Shop" Looks like Jessica's Great Grandfather purchased the "Shop" with all the available options, the manual will help me figure out how to use the mortise/tenon jig. He paid $254.90 in 1953(I think), seems like a lot of money for back then. I still have to setup my bandsaw and metal lathe. I would also like to get a scroll saw, but I can probably get away using my jig saw for now.

I have a few other projects planned, TV stand, Above Fridge cabinet, and I hope to finish off my basement starting this winter (bedroom and bathroom), I'm sure you see me posting more. Cool Forum!!!

Welcome to the creek.

You will definately have to post the pic of the biplane is the story turns out to be true. That would really be a huge project.

nice board, nice tool

I like the simple lines of the board, and the knife too.
    But I really am intrigued by that tool you have. Sounds like it grew up with the Shopsmith. Can you take some more pictures of that guy and talk more about it? If you have to change belts and pulleys to go from machine to machine, that sounds like more work than the shopsmith!

Blog Entries
    Well done. I nearly forgot a 5th (dating) anniversary. I really felt like a dolt when I realized the gift was to be wood and I hadn't been working on something more involved. I built a couple small lift-lid boxes that went over well. Something from your hands to her heart is always a good bet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Great work Patrick.
    Nothing says "get yer butt in the kitchen and cook me something, woman" like a knife and cutting board as an anniversary gift!
    My 5th wedding anniversary is next month. Thanks for not letting me forget!

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Nice knife and cutting board. That Honeycrisp apple looks pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Schlosser View Post
    I like the simple lines of the board, and the knife too.
    But I really am intrigued by that tool you have. Sounds like it grew up with the Shopsmith. Can you take some more pictures of that guy and talk more about it? If you have to change belts and pulleys to go from machine to machine, that sounds like more work than the shopsmith!
    you really only have to change out the sawblade to a pully, to make use of the drill press/disc sander. it's extremely easy to switch over, though I do get less excited to switch the sawblade in and out. I found all of the original manuals which are somewhat funny, seems like it was made in the early '50's. in the manual, in an attempt to apeal to the lady of the house, it says you can use the drill press to mix salad dressings, pretty funny.

I've got about 3 boxes of parts, My wife's Grandfather bought it with all of the options, and I have them all in various boxes waiting to be unearthed and put to use again. It looks like a relative of the shopsmith, though the shopsmith appears to be put togther in a more thoughtful way. It's fun to use, but I always have to be mindful of the pullys and belts. A long time ago I got a loose fitting shirt caught in the workings, and that really got my attention and it has captured my attention to safety ever since.

I'm going to try to take some better photos of it, because it seems like there is little info online about this old system and by the looks of it I have a nearly complete set in fine working condition.

You gotta love the Honeycrisp! This year's "Sweet Tango" apple, which is the offspring of the Honeycrisp and Zestar is my new Favorite, i'm an apple addict!

thanks for the great comments guys, i've got another 10 boards nearly completed for this years Christmas gifts. (my wife's idea)

Blog Entries
    Nice work on the knife and cutting board. Your drill press looks remarkably like my old Homecraft bench top drill press. It would be interesting how they transition the power from a vertical belt to the spindle pulley. Does yours have a stepped pulley for speed adjustment?

If you get any vertical play in the spindle, there is an easy adjustment, assuming it is like mine, for the thrust bearing. I replaced all the bearings in mine about two years ag. It was a pretty easy job.

If you use the drill press often, I bet you'll develop some good muscles tipping it up into position.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-08-2009 at 12:44 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yeah I think My Drill Press can convert to a bench mounted press(saw a guy who did this online), but you need the correct base, you can then mount a motor to the drill. it does use a stepped pulley for speed adjustment. I'll take a picture of the back to show the transition of the belt from vertical to horizontal. it basically had 2 pulleys on sliders that you can adjust so that they're level with the correct speed pulley and then they can be locked in place(if that makes any sense). it's not too bad to put the drill press into place because it Doesn't have a motor on it. it weighs maybe 30 or 40 pounds as is.

you can kind of see what i'm talking about in this picture:

crappy camera phone pics
    Last edited by Patrick Doody; 10-08-2009 at 2:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Paulus View Post
    Welcome to the creek.

You will definately have to post the pic of the biplane is the story turns out to be true. That would really be a huge project.

OK well the story was true, My Wife's Great Grandfather built this plane in his back yard, but I think the tools that I have actually belonged to his son, and the timing just doesn't add up, my tools were not used to build this plane, but i thought I'd post a picture of it anyways. I printed a picture of it and I'm going to hang it in the shop. Thought you guys would be interested. As far as I know the plane was flight worthy, though in this picture it appears that the wings and tail sections have some work to go.