Thread: Old Delta jointer

Old Delta jointer

Anyone use their Delta short beds routinely?? Going to look at a very nice looking one, hopefully still there, and just curious if they are really useful tools or just good looking old iron...
    Its a Delta 37-207, has no stand is the only thing. No rust just taken apart and cleaned. Hopefully get it for $60. I like older tools but I dont want to shoot myself after trying to change blades or set it up.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vincent View Post
    Anyone use their Delta short beds routinely?? Going to look at a very nice looking one, hopefully still there, and just curious if they are really useful tools or just good looking old iron...
    Its a Delta 37-207, has no stand is the only thing. No rust just taken apart and cleaned. Hopefully get it for $60. I like older tools but I dont want to shoot myself after trying to change blades or set it up.
    Thanks
    I have the similar 37-205 with a cast iron base. It is very solid machine. As long as the beds and fence are flat and the pieces are all there you should be very happy. It will need new arbor bearings probably, but those are standard size and easily available (Accurate Bearing has good prices and excellent service). The only downside I can think of is that setting the knives is a little tricky since IIRC there are no springs or setscrews for raising the knives.

I have an 8" jointer, too, but my shortbed 6" is the go-to machine for smaller parts.

As for the stand, they do come up from time to time on ebay and you can also put in want-to-buy post over at owwm.org, or roll your own.

I have the 4 inch version the 290. It was missing a ball crank and the fence handles but for 75$ I couldn't beat it. It has those original legs Gary mentioned boy are they heavy ) Even with a nicked set of knives I love it.

Got it! Absolutely beautiful. Just need to make a stand and get it running.

Buy a set of Dispoz-a-Blades for it. They cost a bit to get the holders.After the initial purchase,the double edge blades cost less per edge than re grinding. the blades snap onto the holders,and the holders just rest in the bottoms of the blade grooves in the cutterhead. Changing blades takes only about 15 minutes,instead of taking a LONG time to get them the same height.I bought them for a 20" planer,and two 8" jointers. Made life MUCH easier.

Grizzly sells them in their catalog.

Ditto on the disposablades. I buy mine from Esta, and find that the cobalt steel is worth the little extra it costs.

I had a similar machine, and I drilled and tapped the head to accept screws so that I could take advantage of the Esta knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vincent View Post
    Got it! Absolutely beautiful. Just need to make a stand and get it running.
    What!!!! No pic's, never happened.

Bruce