Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garden Shed Help

Garden Shed Help

I am working on cleaning out my garage to make room for a new workhop. I need a garden shed to get the lawnmower and yard tools out of the garage. I have picked out a spot, but being a beginner, I need some help with the planning. It has some odd angles, and I do not know how to go about building it. It can be no taller than 6ft 1inch at peak height, so I am thinking of a lean-to type. It will be up against a fence. I am unsure whether to build onto the fence, or just build the shed and put it near the fence. Here is the spot I have picked out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've never done this, but here's my initial thoughts.

1. Don't try to attach it to the fence in any way. If it was attached to the fence it could be a real hassle if a fence post rots out, or if you're ever in a dispute with a neighbor about the fence or fence line.
    2. I wouldn't bother trying to make it match the fence angles. I'd just go for a simple rectangle to make it easy....unless you absolutely need to use evry square foot in that space.
    3. If this is just to store the mower and what not, I would keep it as basic as possible. I would also build it on a couple of pressure treated 4x4s with tapered ends (think sled runners). Then you could drag it around to a different position later if you wanted to.

Here's a webpage that has links to a bunch of other pages that have similar projects on them. This should give you some good ideas.

http://www.bluegrassgardens.com/buil...shed-plans.htm

I am thinking just buy one of the plastic boxes and be done. Kinda like a deck box only big like a shed - tall enough for lawnmower handels to fit in. Several people in sub divisions can have outdoor boxes but not sheds and these work.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I am thinking just buy one of the plastic boxes and be done. Kinda like a deck box only big like a shed - tall enough for lawnmower handels to fit in. Several people in sub divisions can have outdoor boxes but not sheds and these work.

Too late

Pics to come. I have the foundation and sides built.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Haskett View Post
    Too late

Pics to come. I have the foundation and sides built.
    Dang...that was quick!! In almost 5 hours you went from needing ideas to having the foundation and sides built. I better not let my wife read posts like this or she'll start to wonder about why things take me so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kinn View Post
    Dang...that was quick!! In almost 5 hours you went from needing ideas to having the foundation and sides built. I better not let my wife read posts like this or she'll start to wonder about why things take me so long.
    It helps that I live less than a mile from HD. I basically did what Sean suggested. Free standing shed, square. I have the decking on the foundation now, and the sides are done. I kinda got stuck. I got a couple of warped boards and I am not sure where I am going to go from here. (I know, I know I shoulda checked them). Not having a plan initially doesnt help either.

Almost forgot, heres a few pics I snapped during the earlier stages of construction. Sorry for the quality, had to use the phone, wife has the camera out of town this weekend.

The rest of the pics will come when I finish..

I put more beams on the two sides, I just had not gotten around to that at this point in the pictures.

Gosh Bob - you are FAST!

One thought: I've never heard people regret having a shed too big. I know plenty who regret having one too small. Make it as big as the space allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Gosh Bob - you are FAST!

One thought: I've never heard people regret having a shed too big. I know plenty who regret having one too small. Make it as big as the space allows.
    WAS fast. I didnt get a chance to work on it today. I had to aerate and overseed the lawn. Back to work on it tomorrow though. I got a bunch of lumber cut ready to go, and a area flattened out for it. Just need to get back to work and knock it out. Should be big enough for 2 bikes, the lawnmower, and all lawn tools. Possibly the wheelbarrow.

I got the spot leveled yesterday. Hauled the shed to the back. I have the back on the frame, the vapor barrier and the flooring down, and one of the sides done. Today I am going to finish the other 2 sides, and the roof.

Tomorrow/this weekend I will caulk everything and paint it.

Can't wait to see it done...

Your design isn't what I would have done, but then again I am a total newbie at this... Basically your floor / walls aren't what I am used to seeing... I typically see the floor frame set up, moved into place, and then floor decking put on, THEN the walls are built, and stood up into place then anchored, THEN roof roof framing etc...

Your design looks like you built a sort of off shape cube. For a structure that small it's probably a real winner!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Can't wait to see it done...

Your design isn't what I would have done, but then again I am a total newbie at this... Basically your floor / walls aren't what I am used to seeing... I typically see the floor frame set up, moved into place, and then floor decking put on, THEN the walls are built, and stood up into place then anchored, THEN roof roof framing etc...

Your design looks like you built a sort of off shape cube. For a structure that small it's probably a real winner!
    I kinda did that. I built the bottom frame, then moved it to the area I had decided on to check it. Then brought it back to the garage and built the frame for the sides seperately, then attached the sides to the floor frame. Then I put in some more beams for support in the back, front, and flooring. Then I put on the back plywood. Then I put on the siding. Now I am working on the roof.

I am a newbie at this also. It probably isnt the "right" way to do it, and I dont think it is as pretty as a shed you can buy, but it gets the job done and is hidden from view.

Great book on this by Taunton press..

It looks like you are already getting your shed done, but I thought I'd toss this in anyway. Taunton has a book called "Building a Shed" , one of their Build Like A Pro series. I got it from the library, then bought it. Well written, I'm sure I will be using it extensively when I renovate my shed in spring.

Ken

It would be complete by now if I was not so busy at the office. I lack the door and shingles. I will take pics tomorrow as I just finished for the night and it is dark. Total cost of the shed was $263.10. Even the plastic ones that were much smaller than the one I built were in the $300s. Dimensions are 8ft Long x 5 ft Wide. Peak Height is 6ft (to stay below the fence). It is barn siding on the sides, 3/4 inch plywood on the floors. The barn siding came painted a greyish color. My wife and I are going to paint it a different color. We havnt decided what to paint it yet, most likely brown or something that matches the house. I am open to opinions as well.

I am pretty happy with how it turned out for my first majorish project. That is great for me because I am very rarely happy with my work. Somewhat of a perfectionist. Sure there are things I could have done better, but overall I thought it turned out pretty well.
    Last edited by Bob Haskett; 10-01-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Haskett View Post
    The shed is complete minus the floor and the door and shingles. I will take pics tomorrow as I just finished for the night and it is dark. Total cost of the shed was $263.10. Even the plastic ones that were much smaller than the one I built were in the $300s. Dimensions are 8ft Long x 5 ft Wide. Peak Height is 6ft (to stay below the fence). It is barn siding on the sides, 3/4 inch plywood on the floors. The barn siding came painted a greyish color. My wife and I are going to paint it a different color. We havnt decided what to paint it yet, most likely brown or something that matches the house. I am open to opinions as well.

I am pretty happy with how it turned out for my first majorish project. That is great for me because I am very rarely happy with my wook. Somewhat of a perfectionist. Sure there are things I could have done better, but overall I thought it turned out pretty well.

I guess a preview wouldnt hurt...

More pics tomorrow of the finished product. If I do not get rained out.