Thread: Modified Shaker Sideboard

Modified Shaker Sideboard

Last spring, I finished building a complete new set of Red Oak Kitchen cabinets for my wife and needed a complementing piece of furniture to place along the opposite wall of the kitchen. I decided to build a Shaker Styled Sideboard to go with the cabinets. I modified the design to match the cope and pin doors of the cabinets and their antique copper handles.

Here is the final result.

If interested, you can read my article about the complete building process on my website at: http://www.oldaveswoodshop.com/Sideboard.php

Any comments are welcome.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Haynes; 09-28-2009 at 5:04 PM.

dave that looks great! using plywood for the internal carcase was a smart choice as well making the piece a little bit lighter in weight.

I like it. Love the kitchen too. I'm bookmarking that for future reference on my own kitchen remodel.

The whole kitchen looks great. Nice job on the side-board and cabinets and as you stated... a lot of work.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I like it

Congratulations. I think it looks clean and simple. Nice finish, etc. Love drawers, the simple hardware, and the arch on the bottom.

It is interesting to me because it resembles the S. Bent Chair dining room set we bought many years ago (made of ash) that still looks terrific (hardware and coloring are very similar). (However, I wish I could figure out how to make more Sheaf Back chairs .) I have been meaning to make a sideboard or hunter sideboard for years and had promised to make my son and daughter-in-law one but they did not want to wait so they bought a Stickley (cherry) one that I think I could make much better. As it is, a sideboard is now number three on my list after I finish the two major projects I have underway. After seeing yours, there is a good chance I will make it to look very much like it.