Thread: Sealer under Latex Paint

Sealer under Latex Paint

LOML decided that she needed an Armoir to put her clothes in. Our house isn't well stocked with closets so I'm building one from a picture she found of one she likes. She intends to paint it when I'm done so it's being made out of plain pine and plywood.

The question is what will work well for a sealer before paint is applied? I'm thinking of a coat of water based poly but will there be a problem with paint adheering to the poly?

This is the first project that I've used pocket holes to assemble the frame with and all I can say is that the kregg jig was worth every penny.

Pictures will follow once there's something to look at other than a pile of wood.

Dean

Dean, I always seal pine with shellac. Use a thin cut, if you like and coat twice over any knots. Also use dewaxed shellac. All I've used I mix myself. Zinser has some that are dewaxed. You'll need to read the labels. I've not used paint over it, but all clear finishes work great. Paint should also. You might want to scuff it with an abrasive pad before painting, but others can tell you better on that.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Baumgartner
    LOML decided that she needed an Armoir to put her clothes in. Our house isn't well stocked with closets so I'm building one from a picture she found of one she likes. She intends to paint it when I'm done so it's being made out of plain pine and plywood.

The question is what will work well for a sealer before paint is applied? I'm thinking of a coat of water based poly but will there be a problem with paint adheering to the poly?

This is the first project that I've used pocket holes to assemble the frame with and all I can say is that the kregg jig was worth every penny.

Pictures will follow once there's something to look at other than a pile of wood.

Dean

Why not just use the Klitz or zinger primer? Get it tinted to 75% of the color that the topcoat will be and many less coats would need to be applied.

I also use shellac because it raises the grain on pine and fir which I can then sand nice and smooth for a great painted finish. Paint flows on beautifully after the shellac undercoat/primer.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll either try the shelac or the water based poly. I want something to raise the grain somewhat. I've used Kilz in the past and it didn't raise the grain much.

Dean

Dean, will the water based poly keep the pine tar from bleeding through later? Shellac will, but not many other things will. Knots are especially bad. Kilz is sold for that purpose, but in my experience (which is limited to only a few projects), it doesn't work as well as shellac.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Baumgartner
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll either try the shelac or the water based poly. I want something to raise the grain somewhat. I've used Kilz in the past and it didn't raise the grain much.

Dean