Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting the 450 lb G0690 from truck gate to garage

It's not as hard as you may think. I sold a 550# jointer to a guy who wanted to put it in the back of his van. We put some ramps up to the back, and the two of us (scrawny guys) just shimmied it up the ramps. Downhill would have been even easier

Blog Entries
    Back up quick and spike the brakes, it will come right off....

Or use a few lengths of pipe under the pallet like rollers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

450lbs sounds daunting - but it's not so bad really (although you wouldn't want to drop it on your toes).

I used a cheap $20 furniture dolly on the same saw. Worked fine.

BTW: The rails and accessories come in separate boxes.
    Stan

If you have a pick-up back up to the back of the freight truck and put the saw into the back of your truck. Then back into your garage and with the help of your buddies slide the saw on it's back down onto the mobile base. Works slick I have unloaded a couple of saws that way. Loading them into a pick-up is a little tougher.

If you don't have a pick-up I would rent a funiture dolly, or just shimmy the crate, sliding it with some buddies. It will move with some grunting, 450# is not that heavy.

Two guys and a hand truck will do it. (Just took mine off the trailer last nite.)
    As far as the base; I don't know yet, just ordered it minutes ago!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    If you have a pick-up back up to the back of the freight truck and put the saw into the back of your truck. Then back into your garage and with the help of your buddies slide the saw on it's back down onto the mobile base. .
    This is exactly how I got my G0661 out of the truck and into my garage/shop. I don't know about your model but mine required "some assembly" and was shipped upside down. I completed tha assembly and then talked three young turks from work to come over and turn it right side up on the mobile base.

was shipped upside down
    What? Haven't heard that one before. Oh well, as long as you got it flipped over.

I assembled mine by myself. Glad I didn't have to get it right side up too.
    Stan

When I had my tools delivered, I paid ofr the lift gate service and the "Overnite Guy" was great, we wheeled them right into the garage with his lift truck.
    Don't forget that these guys are only responsible for getting it on the ground, not into the garage. I tipped my guy well for he had no reason to help other than he was a good guy.
    Seems to me that problems in shipping generally occur at the transfer stations and not necessarily in transit.

Don't gamble on the fact that the driver will help you to the shop but don't be surprised either.

Looking forward to the review of the new TS.
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

I have an engine hoist (see attached) that will lift up to 4000 lb depending on how far the boom is pulled out. I've used it to lift my oneway 2436, previously owned: oliver 12" table saw, 8" jointer, and Powermatic model 90 (with an extra 200lbs added) in and out of trucks, vans and houses numerous times. Wouldn't have anything else. The extendable boom gives a lot of options especially when having to put the machine in a van. I use 4 heavy duty tie down straps with the ratcheting buckle to adapt to any machine. That way I can balance a load by tightening up one or more straps so things don't go astray.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 09-28-2009 at 9:07 PM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mitchell View Post
    What? Haven't heard that one before. Oh well, as long as you got it flipped over.

I assembled mine by myself. Glad I didn't have to get it right side up too.
    Yep; driver slid it off the pallet and when I opened it it was table down. I assume that's the way Grizzly shipped it.

Engine hoist from Harbor Freight. Or rent one.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I'm going to order the G0691 TS and am looking for ideas on how to get the 450lb cabinet from truck to garage. Any suggestions? I can muster a couple of friends to slide it if that's possible....it's 30' from street to shop, all paved in concrete, and the box sits on a pallet. Also, how do I lift it onto a mobile base?

Thanks-

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Yep; driver slid it off the pallet and when I opened it it was table down. I assume that's the way Grizzly shipped it.
    Never saw that either. My 0691, as well as any other thing I got from Grizzly, was right side up.
    btw, I pick up my stuff at Grizzly and have never had any damaged crating/packaging. I suspect the delivery services are to blame in most cases for damage. (albeit, sometimes the crating/packaging could be sturdier).

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Rodriquez View Post
    Yep, just tell griz that you need liftgate service. The driver will just wheel it in to your shop.
    I agree. It was well worth the extra $$.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

+1 on the block idea
    I have done this for years before I saw the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

Work smarter not harder!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Schlosser View Post

I slide it down some 2"x ramped from the bumper to the ground to get it out of the car. To get it on the mobile base, I rocked the saw back and forth, each time inserting a small block of wood under the side of the saw that was in the air. Eventually, I was up 4" in the air, enough to slide the mobile base underneath. I reversed the procedure to get it onto the base.

I worked similarly to the way this guy rebuilt Stonehenge in his backyard:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

I couple of 2X8X10 and support them in the middle. Use a hand truck or just slid it slowly down the ramp until it's on the floor.