Thread: 4" blast gate from Harbor Freight any good?

4" blast gate from Harbor Freight any good?

Has anyone used the 4" blast gate from Harbor Freight. They are 3 bucks each compared to 8 bucks from Rockler. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97497
    Mike

I don't believe so...

I bought the whole kit HF sells with hose, clamps and those blast gates among other things.

It was worth it for the hose alone which is perfectly fine for my small hobby shop needs.

The hose clamps and blast gates are a different story. The clamps just don't clamp or hold tight once clamped down. Just crap.

To the point of your post and my response, the blast gates work in that you can attach hose to either end and it has a gate you can raise or lower to open or close the opening. That's about all the good you can say.

The primary flaw for them as I see it is where the hoses attach and slip over the gate the gate is sloped inward so that the hose slips off the gate very very easily unless you use an extreme amount of clamping pressure.

Blog Entries
    Looks just like my plastic ones. Rockler had the metal ones on sale for $6 just awhile ago. I picked up 3 for my high traffic locations.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Looks just like my plastic ones. Rockler had the metal ones on sale for $6 just awhile ago. I picked up 3 for my high traffic locations.
    I picked up 2 when Rocker had the sale too but need more because I am installing the ducting for the dust collector. I did not think that I would install a short ducting system (about 15' long) until a week ago.

Nope. Bought 'em but decided I could make better blast gates...so I did.