Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cabinet building

cabinet building

what are you guys using to build your kitchen cabinets? i am about to start building cabinets for my inlaws and they want to use 1/2" plywood all around, i have only ever done it with 3/4" and in my opinion it is a lot better and easier because you have more strength, more glue surface area, and more to nail or screw to, also they are putting granite countertops in. what are your thoughts ???

I would stick with 3/4 doesn't cost that much more and you want something sturdy with all the granite weight on top. just my .02

I'd go with the 3/4" ply also.
    Just curious, why do your in-laws want to use 1/2"?

i don't know why, he's got it in his head that thats what people are using now

Mike I would stay with 3/4. The stronger the better. Plus it is standard.

Mike, sometimes you have to protect people from themselves. 3/4 is the way to go with granite. I just put it in and it IS HEAVY.

Good luck!!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Kraftmaid uses 1/2" plywood or 1/2". MDF. I'm guessing other big box brands do the same. Maybe this is where they got the idea??

I'm making my first set of kitchen cabinets and plan to use 3/4" stock.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Go with the 3/4".

I have seen a lot of home construction and cabinets built. I have never seen 1/2" plywood used on any of these home cabinets.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Hi Mike,

I am about to build my first kitchen. I am going to use pre-finished 3/4" ply. Granite is heavy. Take them to a granite place and have them lift a large piece of granite. It is heavy...

Sam

Use 1/2" baltic birch for the drawers and tell them this is where the half inch stuff goes.

Cabinet plywood

I agree with the 3/4 plywood. It allows for more strength and extra for cutting in a dado. Plus 3/4 has a better chance of holding its shape when used as a cabinet side without racking.

1/2" plywood is used by the big manufactures of cabinetry to save on material weight but it is always used with face frames to add rigidity to the box.

if your going to build frame-less or euro style cabinets than definitely use 3/4". but if the folks are dead set on 1/2" ( and there is no reason why you cant build them that way) than use a face frame and make sure that you use full length sides, meaning that the side panels run from the c-top all the way to the flood uninterrupted. you dont want to use a separate toe kick or leg leveler as this may cause problems with the load transfer.

personally i prefer to buy birch or maple plywood that is prefinished one side for all my cabinet building. the prefinish side is for the interior and the outside is raw and can be stained to match, covered with an end panel or butted against another cabinet. I also save money by being able to use the scraps and cut offs from one job and use them on the next job.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Another vote for 3/4" pre-finished.

I've installed countless kitchens, baths, laundries, etc, from many different manufacturers over 24 years, and have never seen any made with 3/4 ply. All have been 1/2".

For the last ten years, or so, nearly all kitchens and baths have received granite tops.

When we start our kitchen we will us 3/4". Having said that. 1/2" will work too. as a box, it will hold the counter weight fine. I would not use 1/2" shelves though. Using 1/2" may save pennies, and if you are a manufacture, those pennies add up to real money. And of course the shipping weight when shipped to retail outlets can be cheaper with lighter material.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic