Thread: Metal Ductwork for DC Setup...where to buy?

Metal Ductwork for DC Setup...where to buy?

Hi Everyone

I'm setting up my DC system and plan to run 5" metal duct runs to the tools reduced to 4" or 2.5" flexhose. This is being fed off a Delta 1.5hp DC.

Other than Penn State Ind, where else can I shop for ductwork. I want to price shop, if thats possible.

I'd prefer to buy the pipe, blast gates, etc from the same place to limit the running around I need to do.

TIA

George

George
    You can get all that from a furnace supply store, and some lumber yards, make sure you get at least 26ga. Duct is made in several gages, some is just a little thicker than reynolds wrap, it was called 30ga. then it got thinner and was called "warm air duct" it may be sucked in and every time you bump it it will ding and look like junk.
    Mike

You might try this guy http://www.kencraftcompany.com/Dustindex.htm for the fittings, and use snap lock for the straight pipe.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

I bought my spiral pipe from Penn State. I think they were the cheapest 2 or 3 years ago. I still have an unopened box of 3 pcs of 5" spiral pipe I overbought. Don't get too thin piping,or it can suck flat. Spiral pipe is good and strong.

I do not recommend furnace ducting. You may find out you wasted all your work and money if it collapses.

Metal Ductwork

If you have a Delta 1.5 you could easily use the two 4 inch ports and make two separate runs or use the 5 inch for a main run. This depends on your shop set up. I have a Jet and use the two 4 inch ports. This works fine. I have regular 4 inch ductwork. I used silicon to seal the seams when I snapped it together and used foil tape at the connections. Buy this stuff at a BORG. Get metal blast gates at Amazon. I have the low-voltage switches on my blast gates so it activates the DC when the gate is opened. (Also at Amazon) I am not a fan of the plastic gates, but did use plastic for the Y and T connections. Run a metal wire from one side to the other to keep the ductwork grounded to your system. (static electricity) I wouldn't waste my money on the spiral pipe unless I was using a larger DC in a commercial shop.

Hi George,

McMaster-Carr is a good source.

Sam

I am very happy with Kencraft.

Metal Duct Prices

Greetings from NC!
    George,
    I have bought spiral duct from Spiral Manufacturing with great success - great prices and good customer service. Here's a link from a previous thread on duct pricing - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...61#post1071761.

Respectfully,
    Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC