Thread: Which sandpaper for drum sander?

Which sandpaper for drum sander?

Just got a drum sander and have two questions. What sandpaper do you all recommend? Also, What grit do you all tend to find most useful? I do a lot of end grain cutting boards, so it will be getting a lot of use in that department.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a 20 yd roll (wanted a 40 yd roll, but only see it offered in 20) of Mirka Gold Autokut in 80 grit.

Thanks, John K

I use blue zirconia CLOTH backed belts. Someone might say that brown belts are as good,but they don't last as long.

Don't try to go below 120 grit,or your belts will just load right up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kali View Post
    Just got a drum sander and have two questions. What sandpaper do you all recommend? Also, What grit do you all tend to find most useful? I do a lot of end grain cutting boards, so it will be getting a lot of use in that department.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a 20 yd roll (wanted a 40 yd roll, but only see it offered in 20) of Mirka Gold Autokut in 80 grit.

Thanks, John K
    Check out Online Industrial Supply. I bought a couple different grits and they have all worked well. (http://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/)

I use my drum sander as a short piece planer, intermediate sander, and finish sander. So I have 36, 60, 80, 120, 150, 180, and 220. Mostly for the finish sanding work, I use the 180 and 220 with ultra light passes so avoid burning and clogging.

Thanks guys!

Sandpaper is not all created equally..

Aluminium Oxide is usually the best choice for a Drum sander.. Aluminium Oxide sharpens itself while being used. The word for it is "Friability".. as Aluminum oxide is introduced to heat and pressure, it fractures into really sharp shards..

Aluminum Zirconia has a much harder granule. When used on wood, it doesnt "sharpen" as easily and can slowly go dull. It will appear to be in great shape, but may not cut as well long term.

Silicone carbide is actually much sharper than Aluminum Oxide, but again is too hard to fracture and self sharpen on wood. So it also slowly dulls.. When used on Stone or Steel, they are far superior.

The problem with Aluminum Oxide is that there are almost 30 grades of granule made. The cheapest is blast grade.. very inconsistent.. the more expensive grades are consistent in quality and size.. If you buy cheap paper, you could get a sour attitude towards Aluminum Oxide, when really you just got what you paid for.

The cloth backing is typical of coarse grits.. Paper is used on finer grits. The granules can be held on with Animal hide glue or Urea Resin. Animial hide glue is not waterproof and has no heat resistant qualities.. but its cheap!!!
    If your rolls are " resin " or " waterproof ", they will likely be more heat resistant, which is a huge issue with Drum sanders.

I have been using Klingspor paper. I would also use 3M, Sia, or Sait .. there are lots of good quality papers..

That Mirka Autokut 80 is listed as an Automotive paper.. so it will likely be Zirconia, or Silicon Carbide.. which is always listed as " Great for steel or Glass !! , can also be used on wood. " ..

Its not the best choice, but it will work ..
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 10-01-2009 at 3:16 AM.

Thanks Rick, that's exactly what I was looking for! I'm not only new to the drum sander, but woodworking in general, so that info is going to come in very handy!