Thread: I need a good hygrometer

I need a good hygrometer

Okay...I need a good hygrometer for my shop. I have 3. One reads 30%, one reads 40%, and the last one reads 50%. ARRRRGGGG.

Could someone please recommend a reasonably accurate hygrometer for use in the shop. I'd like to keep the humidity between 40 and 45% (45% being ideal), and I have the equipment to do it assuming that I knew what 45% was. Hey, it doesn't have to be perfect but it does have to be reasonable. The ones I have basically give me random readings.

I don't mind spending a little money, but the thing's gotta work properly out of the box. No more salt calibrations, no covering it with wet towels. It has to work.

Help!

I have no personal experience, but based on the reputation of the company, how about these.
    "It's Not About You."

3. I've used the Extech psychrometer at work with good results http://www.amazon.com/Extech-RH300-H...489539&sr=1-10
    You might want to get a sling psychrometer if you want more accuracy and don't mind the calculations.
    Best,
    DP
    Dale Probst
    www.wardprobst.com

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up with an Extech. After a couple of salt calibrations, I now have 3 hygrometers that all agree with each other. I also compared the Extech to our calibrated meters at work, and found that they agree as well.

Hygrometer #4, however, is stuck reading 50% all the time. Beware anyone that has the Woodcraft clock with built in hygrometer. Just cover it with tape because it doesn't work.