View Poll Results: How did your spouse react to your request that she vacate the garage?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Of course, dear, anything your little heart desires"

15 30.00%
  • "YOU"VE got a better shot a living on the driveway than my car does."

9 18.00%
  • "What's it worth to you, buster?"

4 8.00%
  • Other-fill in the response you actually received.

22 44.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting your wife's car out of the garage-a poll.

Getting your wife's car out of the garage-a poll.

I recently dropped yet another hint to my wife that it sure would be great if she let me have the second bay of the garage for shop expansion. (My shop is stuffed into the other bay with most of my major tools on mobile bases.) She scoffed when I told her of all the stories of spouses I had read about who generously, selflessly agreed that cold weather and exposure to the elements was actually good for vehicles and who were willing to do anything they could to support their spouse's addiction, uh, I mean hobby. She suggested I "take a poll". So, I'd sure like to get a sense of whether experience supports my hoped-for takeover of the rest of the space. Be truthful, but a creative interpretation of the facts that would tend to support a fellow woodworker in his hour of need, would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

A nice Lexus sedan with heated seats and a remote starter is about your only hope...

Seriously, Dr. SWMBO doesn't mind parking outside, but it's largely because she's never had a garage for a car, anyway. I suspect she'd get used to it right quick, however. The one garage bay we have is reserved for the Kubota...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-20-2004 at 8:43 AM.

Mine is other, because during the summer, when there is no frost on the windows it is of course dear, whatever your little heart desires. During the winter when she would have to scrape windows and go out in the cold, it's you'd have a better shot at sleeping in the driveway than my car!

I can deal with that.... During the winter I use the whole garage, I just have to clean up her stall every night.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    You may win the battle but you will never win this war. Best to start planning your separate, free standing shop.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

OK, 2 factors contributed in my case

1) I have a 3 car garage, 1 16ft door and 1 7ft door. The 7 ft bay which I offered doesn't have an automatic opener. That translates to "too much trouble".

2) Sawdust all over the car wasn't all that appealing to her

bam! 3 bay shop

Brad

Tony, when my wife & I bought our home, I told her that she could do anything she wants with the house, but the garage was mine. When we bought a new car a few years later she said how nice it would be to park it in the garage, I was scared but I stuck to my guns. When we bought the next new car several years later, she didn’t even ask!
    I religiously clean the snow & ice from her car – even if I’m not going into work that day.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My wife agreed to letting me take over the entire attached two-car garage, if I am still able to pull the family truckster in during bad weather. No problem!!! That's what they make portable bases for!!!

Keith

It just kind of happens. One day the car won't quite fit. And soon she doesn't even try anymore.

Remote starter is a plus.

Cleaning ice and shoveling snow is de rigeur.

Of course, my garage is filled with crap. 2 dressers in the throes of stripping, some, not many, tools, mower, bikes, etc.

You can put a car in a garage? That's a new concept . . . Thankfully, here in north Texas we don't have much snow or ice.

Well I have a twist to this issue. We have an oversized two car garage. It is 24' wide (two garage doors on this side) and 32" deep. My wife says we need a 3 car garage. I tell her that we have the equivalent of a 3 car garage now just without the third garage door. SHE says well then you need to build a new detached or attached workshop/storage building. I say we can't afford to do that right now.

Sometimes LOOL's really do understand.
    Joe

P.S. Her minivan WILL ALWAYS overnight in the garage. I know not to even ask.
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 09-20-2004 at 10:05 AM.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

My answer to the pole was - other. My reason is when we were in the process of purchasing our home,She said, you will even have a 2car garage for a shop. I asked, what about you using it for the car.
    Her reply,with a wave of her hand was, I don't have any interest in it,never have. use it for your shop.
    Best part is, when I decided to gut & rebuild the inside, she was right there tearing out the old walls & helping to insulate,ect.!!!
    All I can say is,WOW!!!
    John, a VERY BLESSED Woodworker.
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

I've never really even seriously gone there.

We did an addition on our house. For her hot tub. The construction materials kicked my car out of the garage. 'Nuff said?

This is one of those questions that reminds me how lucky I am. My shop is in the back corner of the basement. The 24x24 detached garage I built when we first moved in is now occupied by a '54 Chevy 210 (it came with me to the marriage) and a '69 Falcon wagon (the "truck"). Both our daily drivers sit in the driveway. Now, to be fair, the first six years she had one bay and when we bought the Falcon she moved outside.

Good god, I have too many hobbies.

I guess it's time for some flowers - just because.

Wes

only one car

We have only one truck (no car). So , no self respectable red-neck would park a Working F-150 in a 24x 38 pole barn. It is all MINE, heated and insalated. I tell everone the big door is for plywood and ventalation in the summer. Now if the truck is broke , then , well of coarse. You don't think I am going to work outside when there is a warm shop.

It was easy for me. Our Honda Odyssey didn't fit very well in our two car garage. Now I have the whole thing to myself. Well, my Wood Geek stuff and Car Geek stuff cohabitate there fairly well.

Any other Odyssey owners out there? I own a little website called OdyClub.com.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 09-20-2004 at 11:46 AM. Reason: direct link removed - violates TOS