Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What CNC machine would work best?

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    it will take a minute of practice as i do not have an 82 degree bit but i can do it at 45 degrees, the screen shot is an 82 but i did not adjust depth yet

jim
    Well that looks cool! What's in the very center?
    Will that program tell you how long it will take to cut at set speeds and feeds?

yes it will tell you time based on feeds and speeds it is a lot more accurate in 2d than 3d, the center is what i read on the drawing as a 82 degree beveled hole (counter sink) in the drawing, i am a cabinetmaker not a machinist so i may have read it wrong

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cowan View Post
    What bit are you using? Could you use the same bit to bore the 1/4" holes as well?

What's the smallest diameter bit I could use to route out the plates?
    Bryan,
    I use a O flute up cut .25". To cut the holes the .25" is fine I would set it up as a tap drill comand so the bit will go down and come back out at a set interval. This is on the thicker stuff on the .125" should not be a problem.

On the O-Flute you can go down to the .125" but you do have to slow down and test your speeds. All my cuts need .25" I do have some tap drill comands we use the .125" on.

Joey

Bryan

here is the other part I will run now in .5" as a test should take about 20 min for set up and all

Joey
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bryan

I found some 1/8" aluminum be back soon

Joey

looking at these parts. I don't see a need for a cnc but to save effort. these parts could be cut on a tablesaw then drilled with a lot of choices how they were done.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

spent a few minutes with the file, need to note that there is not an x cordinate for the 4 holes off center in the middle, in the future bryan could get the dxf from the person who drafted the part and this would be absolute within the software, by the way bryan i did this in aspire but one could use vcarve pro at 600.00 for this, as for all 2d work along with a lot of other functions this is the base program of aspire, they have another ( Cut 2d) at 150 that would be basic but would do the trick!!

jim

oh an just for the fun of it here is a vid of my latest project!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCrEJ2Ud5YU

dang joey you beat me to it!! i will say i am glad we are having this disscussion as i am learning a lot about aluminum machining!!

jim

steve, i get the impression you do not want bryan to have a cnc, i hope i am wrong about this, a cnc can be a miracle in time, effienciency and accuraccy. shopbotters are generally very welcoming and helpful with this. we have several shopbotters who participate with us in cnc and i work with one as well.

jim

Bryan & Jim

Here is the pic of the part I just milled on one of our shop routers.
    here is a link to the you tube video of the part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxpgtBMe_Tw

Bryan I had the presets of only milling down .10" in my program you will be able to do this in one pass saving you time. also you can see i held it down with screws, we do this all the time. cut all your holes with one file then the profiles with the other after you add the screws for hold down.
    I hope this helps.

Joey Jarrard

Blog Entries

There is your answer Bryan...

Bryan et al,

I have sent Bryan some PM's on this thread. Most people know that I will not sign off on one particular piece of equipment or software, however, the proof is in the photo Bryan.

Joey made the same part that you have been cutting on a bandsaw and drilling by hand. He did this while posting threads and taken photos to put on those threads. He was also probably doing 10 other things in his normal course of duties at CAMaster.

Bryan, the proof is there. He did one very quickly. Now imagine that same piece nested on a 24 by 24 inch piece of aluminum, and you standing there as you watch your CAMaster do in an hour, what used to take you all day.

Jim knows me. He will tell you I shoot straight from the hip and do not care about hurting your feelings. That being said, That small CAMaster that Joey has and the V-Carve software that Jim mentioned are in my eyes your best bet.

I know what you are making, I have seen the retail price. If I were you, I would be getting a CAMaster and V-Carve yesterday.

One last thing, in compliance with the new laws that the FTC is enacting, my full disclosure is that I have not recieved or do I recieve compensation in anyway from CAMaster or Vectric. Polhemus is the only company that pays me anything, A referral fee for any laser scanner they sell to a customer that I refer.

Joey, after seeing you do this aluminum, I am more then ready to make my gantry uprights for my hobby CNC build! You da man Joey! You da man!
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Blog Entries
    Oh, Joey made the video also and uploaded it to Youtube.

Again, You da man Joey!!!!!!
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    dang joey you beat me to it!! i will say i am glad we are having this disscussion as i am learning a lot about aluminum machining!!

jim
    You and me both Jim, you and me! And... I bet a few other people that read this thread!!!!!

Guy

Thanks for the help. I will post the bits I use in the am. The thing with aluminum is to get a good chip load. this saves the bit & keeps from stressing the spindle.

Joey Jarrard

yea Joey, looks good. please give exact bit brand/type and what type aluminum that is.. I have had a terrible time any time I have tried aluminum. Also, what kind of cooler is that?