Thread: week two - home school shop class

week two - home school shop class

For those following my exploits as a wanna-be shop teacher, here's the latest installment.
    My friend's two boys, ages 10 and 11, are coming to my shop once a week for woodworking "classes". This was their first day of actually making sawdust, and I chose a simple box as a project they could complete in about an hour. The box consisted of four sides joined with simple butt joints, glued and pin nails, with a plywood top and bottom. the top slides in and out of a dado on each end, similar to a pencil box. OVerall the box is just big enough to hold a standard sheet of paper. I prepped by planing and pre-cutting all the pieces from wood recovered from pallets.
    We startedd by looking at several boxes I'd made, from simple ones to more decorative ones (I'd made a couple following the design in the latest WoodSmith mag). I pointed out the differences in joinery and style, and had the boys each identify some good and bad aspects of each box. I then showed them a completed sample of what we would be making, and had them each measure the sample to determine how long to cut each side. Then they selected wood from the prepared pile, measured and marked them, and cut them on a chop saw. I then ran each piece through the tablesaw to put dados in them, and had them sand each piece, then glue them and pin the joints with a pneumatic pin nailer (I had to help them with this tool as well) One of my goals was to give them a sense of accomplishment by having a simple project they could complete in about an hour, and have a handmade box they could take home that day.
    Well, that was the plan.............
    We started out late, because their mom's horse had gotten out and had to be caught and corralled before bringing the kids to class. Once we got started it became apparent that the boys didn't really understand how to measure something - I needed to stop to explain how to read a ruler accurately. They were able to cut the box sides to length, but the older boy got behind because he kept having to run to the bathroom, or to get his jacket, or was distracted by something else going on, etc.... Then Mom said the horse was loose again and they needed to go right away to solve tha problem.... The younger boy was able to go home with a completed box, albeit a little rough around the edges. I gave him saome sandpaper to work on it more at home. The older boy had to leave his partially completed for next week's class. (gotta wonder how those family dynamics will be at home this week)
    Some of the learning for my part is not to assume that they know basics such as measuring and math skills. I need to spend some time reinforcing those skills to begin with, since everything else depends on that. Secondly, to make sure they go to the bathroom and take care of other things first, so they can focus on the project. I also want to re=evaluate with them and make sure we are on the same page as far as expectations - what do they want out of their time vs what do I want them to get, etc. Things felt a bit rushed once Mom came in wanting the boys to leave immediately, and I was trying to help them finish the last steps...
    I was talking about these issues with some friends this morning at the local coffee shop, and the owner/waitress chimed in with "I was talking with Karyn (the boys mom) the other day, and my boys would love to do this too. Would you be willing to teach three more boys?" My response? AAAAAACK! The joys of living in small-town America... (and for all of you just itching to tell me about liability, "I know, I know")

You know, a quick liability waiver might not be a bad idea at all. Your homeowner's insurance company might like it, too.

Hi Dave, I'm grinning, both for your enthusiasm, and for what you're going through.

How old are the boys?

My wife is a Pathfinder leader (Older Girl Guides), and every two years they make a wood project using our shop.

It's either an intarsia project, or something simple such as a band saw box.

I had to laugh about the measuring, I have adults in the cupboard door team that can't measure either, just a skill they never learned or needed.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    How old are the boys?
    They're 10 and 11, as he said.

I can understand taking reading a tape for granted. I remember when I was in high school or first year of college I was working construction and had a couple new guys come on (17-18 years old). They had no idea how to read a tape measure! I had to spend 20 minutes with them explaining it, and they still didn't get it!

What is a tape measure? OK kidding aside, maybe you can teach the boys about story stick. Line up one edge of the sample with the story stick and mark the other and then transfer to the piece to be cut.

I met people in my short life (I am only 33) that when they hear that I build things out of wood, do remodeling projects on my house, fix cars and everything else in-between their eyes just bulge out and ask where did I learn all of that. There are a lot of people that do not know how to use common tools, like a measuring tape, screwdriver or a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slupek View Post
    What is a tape measure? OK kidding aside, maybe you can teach the boys about story stick. Line up one edge of the sample with the story stick and mark the other and then transfer to the piece to be cut.

I met people in my short life (I am only 33) that when they hear that I build things out of wood, do remodeling projects on my house, fix cars and everything else in-between their eyes just bulge out and ask where did I learn all of that. There are a lot of people that do not know how to use common tools, like a measuring tape, screwdriver or a hammer.
    Ditto! And no offense to my dad but I didn't really learn the mechanical aptitude skills from him. That is not to say however I didn't learn patience, persistence and critical thinking from him. Those skills go a long way in teaching yourself how to do things.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.