Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....PICS

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....PICS

Well....all I can say is:

<font size="+2" color="red"><b>What A Weekend!!!!</b></font>

The Central State BBQ was a BIG Success and thanks to all that took the time and effort to attend.

A "Special Thanks" goes to Woodcraft, Greg Heppard, MicroJig, Waymon Campbell, and others for door prize donations. To Ace Karner and Steve Nelson from bringing the best smoked ribs that I have EVER eaten in my entire life (no fooling!), to Terry and Cheryl for the greatest briskett that has ever come across my fork, Kelly and Jana Hanna for making the most wonderful Chile-Con-Queso that I have eaten in "many" years. (Just gotta watch those little "green" peppers is all!!" Terry and Connie Quiram and their famous "Pickles with a kick". All just wonderful stuff.

For those of you that didn't get to taste the LOML's "Sawdust Salad", you missed a great desert....

Done a little turning at the bbq, a LOT of sharpening, so I didn't get to mingle with all the great folks as much as I wanted to. Spent some time eating and Terry Quiram and his relish, pickle with a kick and such....you just keep in bringing those with ya!!!!! Those were a big hit!!!!

Any way....here are the MicroJig winners at the bbq. Beginning on the front row, left to right: Kelly Hanna, Jeff Hamilton, Steven Nelson
    Back Row, left to right: Terry Quiram, Kevin Gerstenecker, Steve Clardy, Waymon Campbell.

So what did YOU do this weekend. Best of weeks to you all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 09-20-2004 at 12:58 PM.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

More pics from the BBQ......

Special thanks to Terry Q. and Kevin G. for bringing me some turning stock that I can't seem to find around here other than Oak.

1. Some of Terry Q's extremely fine scrollsaw work.

2. Yes, Festool did show up at the BBQ. I brought two sanders by request.

3. Door prizes for men and women alike.

4. Woodcraft / Greg Heppard and the fine selection of lumber and turning blanks from the "mobile store".!! Great discounts too!!!!
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

now for a look at some of the FOLKS that came to the BBQ:

1. Waymon Campbell
    2. Chris Padilla
    3. Greg Heppard
    4. Jack Deimer and Scott Coffett
    5. Joe Meazle
    Dennis -

and a few more....

1. Kelly and Jana Hanna
    2. Kelly, Steve, Terry and Jeff
    3. Kelly H. and Terry Q.
    4. Kevin Gerstenecker
    5. Mike Hannah
    Dennis -

A scrollsaw that you really shouldn't be without if you plan on doing any scrolling.....<b>The Eclipse!!!!!</b>
    Dennis -

As you can see, I went to the BBQ. My weekend officially started Thursday Night as i picked Chris up from the airport at 11:30PM. Friday, Jack, Chris, Mike and I headed out on a 3 hour tour (if you we're riding with us you realize the association with Gilligan's Island). Mike had a GPS that he was able to only load partial maps needed, we had great written directions, but couldn't find the mole on the back of our hand. Visited Ballew Saw and Grizzly in Springfield. Yes, we have some minor gloats that will probably be posted later this week. Then off to Springdale. After checking into the hotel we headed over to Terry's for some nice conversations and grub.

BBQ on Saturday, some lathe lesson's and steaming demo's. I think it took Jack about 3 hours to sharpen his 2" pocket knife, but he now has no hair on the left arm after checking for sharpness. We headed home about 7-8PM.

Sunday, helped Chris get all the stuff packed and to the airport. Sunday was spent relaxing and mowing the yard. Today, it's back to work.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Last but not least....

Chris and his new nose..!!!!!
    Dennis -

Weekend accomplishments? Ate WAY WAY too much great food and enjoyed a lot of good company.

Terry

Man, do I wish I could have been down there with you guys! Looks like a great time.

MY weekend was all about my son's 8th birthday party. It was originally supposed to be a pool party for him and 25 of his closest friends. BUT, when Mother Nature decided to end summer about a week earlier than I wanted Her to, we had to go into high gear cleaning out the basement for the party. So, Friday and Saturday was spent cleaning/organizing/preparing, and Sunday was the party. He/they all had a great time, and by the time it was all over, I was ready to go to sleep. It's amazing how 25 little rugrats will just suck the life right out of you...

Keith

Sounds like you guys had way more fun that me. I did manage to make some progress on the workshop expansion. Dug out 37 10cf cart loads of hard red clay where I am going to put the lathe. Rented a demolition hammer with a clay spade on it and it cut right through the clay. Here is a picture of the progress and a picture of my dirt hauler. 2 spaces down 1 more to go!
    Last edited by Sparky Paessler; 09-20-2004 at 1:15 PM.
    Sparky Paessler

Double WOW

I am impressed What a turnout!! And the DISTANCES people traveled (Chris from the West Coast even tho he's sportin a new improved nose). More evidence of the GREAT group the SMC is!!! Great pictures! Good to tie a big picture to the name. As Bill Murray said in "What About Bob", I love you Man..
    Jerry

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Very productive and rewarding weekend. Festool Does Boats. Getting ready sell one of the fleet. The Festool Rotex and the PC detail sander were great for fiber and metal prep.

Unseasonably warm in Minnesota this weekend, spent time with the family and attended the Renaissance Festival. I went with a more critical eye of crafts and creations after reading of Creekers adventures.

Have a good week.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I'm bummed I couldn't make the trek to Arkie-land since it looks like a really good time was had by all! I hope that these events continue to proliferate so more folks have the opporunity for the fellowship and learning they provide. (Not to mention the food... )

At any rate, it was a productive weekend in the newly-renovated shop for both flat- and spinny-work. For the latter, I finished up a Green Ash bowl that I roughed out a few months ago. It has a burnt rim, similar to another piece I did early in the year and is intended as a functional piece with a contemporary profile. I'll post a "real" picture of it later, but the first photo below gives a little clue of what it looked like while still on the lathe via the vacuum chuck during the finishing process with Waterlox.

For my flatwork project, I started an armoire for our guest room where there is no closet for hanging clothes. This is based on a Thos Moser designed "tall cabinet", scaled to fit the low ceiling and narrow space. Finished dimensions will be 75" tall, 36" wide and 20" deep. (exterior measurments) I decided to make this piece with the poplar stock remaining in my "stash" as it is decidedly a bit knotty and will have a nice country look when I'm finished with it. (literally) I'll likely dye it to work well with the wide, pumpkin-pine flooring in the room. The remaining four pictures are of various operations.

DVD of the week was Pieces of April, a quirky story about a dysfunctional family coming together due to the mother having terminal cancer.

Pics:
    1. Green Ash Bowl in progress
    2. Panel glue-ups
    3. Sanding said panels flat
    4. Trimming the ends of the side with the best tool currently available...hidden future gloat there...
    5. Laying out for stopped dados and other joinery accomodations
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Didn't build a chair! Whole weekend! No woodworking and no tool time! First time since April! Yahoo!!

Jim how are you liking the big sander. I keep thinking I need one but can not make my mind up.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---