Thread: Now my Excalibur sucks

Now my Excalibur sucks

I was really excited when I finally got my Excalibur overarm installed and hooked up to my dust collection system. I was let down when I saw dust blowing out all around the hood and figured I must have set my expectations too high.

I have lived with it over a year now, but then today for some reason, I decided to investigate. I had lots of vacuum going in; not much at the hood. So I took off the hose and shined a flashlight down it's throat and notice a restiction in the design. A plate with a 1 3/8" hole in it.

After I drilled out the plate with hole saw to the full 3" pipe size, I have a hood that sucks out all the dust - its awesome.

I just can't figure out why they have the restrictor in there. It is certainly not structural.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can hear it all the way over here. What were they thinking?!?!
    David DeCristoforo

Did the engineer have a senior moment???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I was never satisfied with my excaliber; I got rid of it and built an overhead version from scraps--and to this date it works great. Of course if you have to move the saw frequently, it's a different story.

Beats me why the plate is in there, I have the older straight arm version and it's just a piece of telescoping pipe, no restrictor.......Rod.

larry, you should seriously put that piece of advice on amazon.com so that everyone who buys one will know how to increase the suckage lol

That's really wierd
    It seems as if a step was bypassed in the manufacturing process.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    That's really wierd
    It seems as if a step was bypassed in the manufacturing process.
    Yeah, or maybe that piece if laser cut and somewhere along the line a drawing was misread or something when they were preparing the code to run the laser cutter.

I wonder if it might have been designed for use with something smaller than a DC where you might not have as large a volume of air moving....say a shop vac. Of course, most folks who have a hood on their table saw, have a dc system too.

Often when something is engineered they trade off a little at each end so that it will work under a wider spectrum of circumstances......

In other words, you might make one specifically for use with DC...another specifically for use with a shop vac.....or design one with less than optimum performance with either DC or shop vac but with "fair" performance with either?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Yeah, or maybe that piece if laser cut and somewhere along the line a drawing was misread or something when they were preparing the code to run the laser cutter.

I would be curious to hear if anyone else with this model has seen this. Maybe I did get a "mistake".

All that you need to do is unscrew the hose clamp and shine a flashlight down the hole - it will be obvious.

I pulled mine apart and it doesn't have a small hole, looks like yours after the repair. Maybe someone missed a step in the manufacturing process.

I pulled mine apart too; looks like your modified version. Yours must have been a manufacturing error.

Clay

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Crocker View Post
    I pulled mine apart too; looks like your modified version. Yours must have been a manufacturing error.

Clay

I guess I am just "lucky".

Larry, I believe you must have been provided one of the newer *GREEN* Excalibur guards which were designed to *conserve AIR*! Pfftttt!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!