For sometime now I've been thinking about building boxes or furniture with secret compartments. Ironically, when my November 2009 issue of PWW magazine arrived there's an article about that very topic.

Unfortunately, the details are about as clear as mud in terms of the locking mechanisms and how they actually are fitted into a piece. Furthermore, when I search the net for details on techniques of incorporating secret compartments into a project, you guessd it, it's a secret!

Does anyone know of a book or a website that goes into details for building the secret compartments and explains the use of Quaker Locks (also called spring locks) and the sliding dovetail key?

I've also read about compartments that are accessed by a series of "locks". As I understand it, you move one thing and then move something else, maybe 2-4 steps in sequence, in order to get to the compartment.

I'm really more interested in a small space in boxes. I think they'd make great Christmas gifts. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.