Thread: Naniwa or Shapton?

Naniwa or Shapton?

I'm about to take the plunge and get some new waterstones to replace my horrible old waterstone that's been sitting around for years. I had decided to bite the bullet and get the Shaptons, but the Naniwas certainly would be cheaper. I would appreciate feedback on either, specifically;
    - which cuts faster? I'll be doing mainly flat plane irons and chisels. No turning
    - which wears best?
    - is one easier to use than another? I've heard talk about "stiction" when it comes to Shaptons. Is stiction even a word? Sounds like something Don King would make up.
    - do you find a difference in edge achieved with either stone(s)?

TIA.

I know there are endless threads on sharpening, but i haven't read much on the Naniwas

They will both wear out.

I have the Shapton professional series waterstones, and have tried out the Naniwa waterstones.

They both will last a long time, remain really flat, cut very quickly, and give you a great edge. To me, the feel of the Naniwas in use was nicer.

If I was starting from scratch, I would get the Naniwas. But I'm not going to go through the trouble of selling my Shaptons and replacing them with Naniwas. When my Shaptons wear out, I plan on replacing them with Naniwas, but it's going to be a LONG time before that happens.

Hope that made sense.

Hi Robert,

I am in the same boat as Wilbur - a long time user of the Shapton ProSeries stones. Joel lent me the 5K and 10K Naniwas stones at WWIA this past weekend. I have to say - I was very impressed. The 5K stone needed a bit of flattening, so I opted to use my 5K shapton... but the 10k Naniwa was a real treat to use. It cut as fast as a 5K stone, but left a surface quality similar to my 15k shapton. Even if the Shapton and the Naniwa stones are equal, the fact that the Naniwa can be maintained without the use of a $300 diamond lapping plate makes it a no-brainer as far as I am concerned. I love my Shapton stones - but the cost of the diamond plate still rubs me the wrong way.

I have not experienced sticking with the Shapton pro series at all - but like anything - it does take some time to get a feel for them.

5. Just a clarification...

on the Naniwas. There are two series - the Super stones, which I think are roughly comparable to the shaptons, but a bit less expensive. They strike me as a tad softer than shapton, either a good or bad thing depending on your preference, and I liked the feedback from them.

There are also the Naniwa Chosera stones, which are Naniwa's higher end line. They are very nice stones, but are a bit of a cost step-up; these are the stones Konrad is referring to, above. The 10k chosera stone is easily the finest man-made waterstone I've ever used - but it also has a price commensurate with that.

FWIW, I have a mix of shapton pros, glasstones, and the 10k Chosera. All are excellent, and like Wilbur and Konrad, I see no reason to get rid of any of them in order to switch.

Thanks for the opinions, guys. Naniwa certainly is a less expensive option. Hey Konrad, was just reading about your planes. WOW! Someday, if I can secure some substantial orders I might come a-knockin.
    Bought my first house in Hamilton, and my initial Cabinet maker training was in Toronto.

Hi Robert,

Hamilton and Toronto... that practically makes us distant neighbours Come Knockin anytime.

Thanks Raney for clarifying the two different stones. I guess you and I will be racing to see who wears through our Shaptons first then!

Konrad,
    Love to, but I'm in Minneapolis now.

I've just recentlly been looking into the Naniwa stones. Am I right in my reading that the Chosera need to be soaked while the SuperStones dont? One of the things that originally put me off with waterstones was needing to soak. A lot of my shop time is in in colder weather and I'd rather not have to work with real cold wet stones in the shop.
    Use the fence Luke

10. So what does one flatten the Naniwa stones with?

Oilstones, my current sharpening seem very slow.

Denis

I flatten mine on a norton stone made for that purpose. BTW, I really like the super stones and would buy them again. For the money, its a great set. They are a bit thin, maybe twenty years from now when I wear the 1000 through, I will wish I had bought something different.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I've just recentlly been looking into the Naniwa stones. Am I right in my reading that the Chosera need to be soaked while the SuperStones dont? One of the things that originally put me off with waterstones was needing to soak. A lot of my shop time is in in colder weather and I'd rather not have to work with real cold wet stones in the shop.
    I believe you are correct. I can only vouch for the 10k chosera, but it does indeed need soaking. The super stones don't, and neither do any of the shaptons.

I use a DMT diamond stone for flattening.
    Last edited by Raney Nelson; 12-04-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Well I took the plunge and ordered up the 3 stone set (1/5/8K grit) of Superstones and decided to go for the 10K Chosera too. They're on BO for a week or 2 so I may not get them until after Christmas but I'm looking forward to trying these out. Just haven't been 100% satisfied with the sharpness I'm getting using Scary Sharp or the Worksharp. I get them sharp - just not quite sharp enough to shave arm hair with.
    Use the fence Luke

FWIW, I just received a 10k Naniwa SS, thick one with no base. My first impressions of the stone are good. It certainly does polish well, and doesn't seem hard like my old King G-3, yet still cuts fast. Yes, I have to be more careful with it than my 1k GS, but that's OK, I'm not in a race. Not soaking is nice, too. Also makes pretty green slurry.................

I would love to try the Chosera 10k, maybe next year............

I don't see how you can go too far wrong with either one.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Naniwa chosera stones are ~25% off at TFWW right now.