Thread: Bonnie Campbell made me hungry for...

Bonnie Campbell made me hungry for...

...Pasta e Fagioli. One of my favorite places to eat is Johnny Carinos, and they had a Pasta e Fagioli that was excellent. It has been dropped from the menu, and I haven't found a recipie for anything like it. Their's was a white bean soup with a clear or slightly starchy broth, with ham and carrots. Does anybody have a recipie for something like this? Most I have seen on the web have been tomato based. Some sound really good, but just not what I am looking for. I am a lousy cook so I don't know where to start experimenting in figuring it out on my own. While I am a really bad cook, I am a world class eater, and would like to find a good recipie.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I`m not sure what the French stuff is, but the bean soup description sounds like navy bean soup. Get a bag of Goya navy beans and the recipe is on the bag. Even if it`s not what your looking for it is very good.

Someone on the food network made that on a show, without tomatoes, had macaroni or some other pasta in it? Try searching the food network website.

If you want a great soup, try this:

Baked Potato soup:

Bake 4 large potatoes until done

Let cool then cut into peel and cut into small pieces

Meanwhile chop up some bacon and cook until crispy

Add the potatoes and bacon to the pot, and pour in milk
    until they are covered

Turn on to medium heat, stir occasionally

When heated through and close to boiling add 2
    chopped green onions, 2 tablespoons butter and
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Stir well and simmer 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Optional for smooth, creamy texture: Beat with immersion blender

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Yeah, baked potato soup is very good. Your recipe sounds just like the one my better half uses.

Olive Garden restaurants have a Pasta e Fagioli soup, but it is beef based. From their menu: White and red beans, ground beef, tomatoes and pasta in a savory broth.

It's a pretty hearty soup on a cold day. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

joe pelonio sounds delish....

love the olive garden pasta fagiol soup...

My wife does an AWESOME soup that she calls "left-over Soup". Here, I'll let her explain it.

Well.....The children and I used to volunteer at a mission here in town. There was an elderly lady who would bring the most delicious soups for lunch for the volunteers. I asked her one day if she would mind bringing the recipe along with the soup. Her words were...."Well honey all it is is my leftovers thrown in a pot with some good broth." So, I tried it. I had some broth in the freezer from a whole chicken I had cooked so I put that in a pot along with leftovers and I think I had some dry ranch dressing mix I threw in there too. The kids, of course, did what kids typically do...turned up their nose and said "WHAT IS THAT?!?!?!" I told them it was supper, and that they could have that or a slice of bread and some water. They ate it begrudgingly, then said it was good! I have been making leftover soup for about 4 years or so and it turns out good every time. We waste a lot less food and I have meals that are quick and easy. Just start off with a good broth (I even save the gravy, juice from veggies, the broth under the fat when I broil a pork loin, etc.), any meat, veggies, rice, dry mixes such as salad dressing mix, and I keep bags of frozen veggies on hand if I need a little more than I have leftover. With our budget getting tighter I depend on this type of supper when I need something fast & cheap.
    So....there you go. Y'all have a good day and I hope this will help someone along the way with their grocery bill.

.....whew.....I couldn't have said that better myself.
    Thanks to the LOML for sharing her most experienced cooking secrets.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have had pretty good success at this site for when looking for recipes, allrecipes.com.