Thread: jointer and bandsaw

jointer and bandsaw

i am getting some rough cut lumber. and need a jointer my budget is very limited i saw this

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/tls/1405017919.html

is that a good deal?
    is that a decent jointer? i only want it to true up one side of board before cutting on tablesaw i have a planer
    i have a 14inch bandsaw already set up to cut lathe blanks would it be worth while to have the little one for fine stuff?
    Last edited by cody michael; 10-05-2009 at 8:06 PM.

Hi Cody, I would stay away from a 4" jointer.

You need a jointer to do two things

1) establish a flat true face on the board

2) make one edge flat and straight and at right angles to the previously jointed face.

The 4" jointer is too narrow for face jointing, unless you want to rip all your stock smaller than 4" wide.

In addition the beds are two short to joint material for the normal lengths involved in cabinet making.

You would be much better served by finding a typical used 6 or 8" machine.

Regards, Rod.

I don't think you'd be all that happy with either of those items. If you already have a planner(or plan to buy one soon, the Ridgid at the Orange Borg is a nice machine and pretty affordable). Then you can make a planner jig to flatten faces and a 4 inch jointer is still very useful for edge jointing. Bigger is almost always better when it comes to Woodworking tools, but a four inch jointer is much better than no jointer at all. I bet you can find a delta bench top jointer in that price range on Craigslist if you keep looking. I've seen comparable bandsaws go for $40-$50 dollars. I paid less than $200 for my vintage cast iron 14" Rockwell/Delta.

I used to have a jointer just like that. It worked good for edge joining, can't remember ever face joining on it. The problem is that the machine is so small that anything over about 3' long creates a real problem trying to get a good edge. The last boards I ran across mine were 42" long I got an acceptable edge, but it was a challenge. After having an 8" jointer now I would hold out for something bigger if the finances allow.

Cody,

I agree with Rod about a 4" jointer; you'd probably soon realize its limitations. And I can't really see the point of getting a 9" bandsaw if you've already got a 14" machine.

Pass, IMO.