Thread: I've found that Craigslist is my friend

I've found that Craigslist is my friend

About a month ago I answered a craigslist ad for cherry at 82 cents a boardfoot. Scored 87 boardfeet.

Last Thursday I followed up on another craigslist ad that was offering walnut a white oak boards. Well the white oak turned out to be cherry and I drove away with this

for $50. The walnut board on the right is 18" wide and 2 of the others are 15".

Looking at some ash and hickory this weekend from another craigslist ad at $4.00 a board for 6'-12' long by 4"-14" wide. That's a board, not a board/foot.

Yes, I do like craigslist.

Cliff

Me too. Today, I picked up a PC Speedbloc sander for $8.00, along with a Delta 10" bench top drill press for $20.00. Then I went and bought a 150' piece of 10-4 SJO cord, with twist lock plugs on each end, for $100. Not bad considering cord sells for $1.79 + tax a foot at BORG, which works out to almost $2.00 a foot.

Cliff,

What do you search for? Seems like whenever I go looking for hardwood on CL, I get 10 pages of results for flooring and misc leftover construction lumber.

4. I won't go the you suck route.. Just sticking with the sucks to be me route this time.. There's never anything close enough for me to check into. Everything is at least a 2hr drive.

Granted, I'd most likely be more willing to drive that far, if I had a decent vehicle.

Dang I need a truck.

BTW: Search for "kiln dried" or "board foot" usually pulls up some decent wood. Else neb through the Materials section.
    Last edited by Scott Hildenbrand; 09-24-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Dan,

I just scan through the materials and general sections on a regular basis. Sometimes the prices are average. Sometimes they are too good to pass up. My problem is that I don't have much storage space, as in a backyard shed, and am running out of room.

Cliff

Blog Entries
    I have been doing the same thing. You never know what you might come up with. I don't scan CL religiously for the deals, but I do often.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

After reading this thread, I started doing the same thing, but I did a search for the following and then bookmarked it:

(maple | oak | ash | walnut | cherry | fir | alder | ipe | mahogany) -hardwood

Basically it searches for posts that contains any of the words within the parentheses as long as they are seperated by the "|" character. The "-hardwood" at the end means as long as the post doesn't contain the word hardwood, as I've found that a lot of the posts in the building materials section is hardwood/laminate flooring.

Give it a try. Works well in the Tools section too