Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how coarse a stone do I really need?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

how coarse a stone do I really need?

I have seen people recommend everything from 220 grit to 1000 grit, for flattening the back of a plane/chisel, or re-establishing the bevel.

So how low do you go, and why?
    Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 10-06-2009 at 11:25 AM.
    -Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan sherman View Post
    I have seen people recommend everything from 220 grit to 1000 grit, for flattening the back of a plane/chisel, or re-establishing the bevel.

So how low do you go, and why?

I guess it really depends on what you are trying to flatten. I once made the mistake of trying to 'flatten' the back of the blade that came with my new Lee-Valley BU Jack with a 220 grit water stone. The back ended up looking less polished than when I started (and yes, I was also re-flattening the 220 stone frequently... those suckers get out of flat pretty quickly). I took me a while to get it back to where it was with my 1000 stone. Only when I got to the 4000-8000 grit I noticed some improvement. Newbie mistake

I am sure the case would have been different had I been working with a rusted old blade from a flea market.

If you need to restore a nicked or chipped blade ( or worse yet, a broken one - never pry with a chisel, for instance ;-)) and don't own a grinder, a 220 stone is nice to have as the thousand will take for-freakin-ever.

If you're trying to flatten the back of something or re-create a bevel, don't use a waterstone. You'll go crazy trying to keep the stone flat. Instead, glue some sandpaper to a sheet of glass and have to it. Yes, the sandpaper can get "dull" after a while, but that's easy to fix. The key is that it will stay flat forever.

It all depends on how nasty it is. I've gone as low as 60 grit paper on some real ugly stuff. I always attempt to flatten or redo the bevel with the finest grit I can that will get the job done. But if you check after a minute or so and you're only making contact in a couple of spots, it's going to be a long slow job unless you start getting more agressive. 180 grit sanding screen works pretty well on some of the nastier jobs as it cuts a little faster than sandpaper.
    Use the fence Luke

I like using waterstones. I really really really really like using waterstones.

But if I need to do some major work, like reestablishing the bevel, or grinding out a nick, I'll use Norton 3X 80 grit attached with some spray adhesive on a granite plate. Not so much for the coarseness of the grit, but for the flatness of the surface. I have yet to find a <1000 grit waterstone that will stay flat for very long.

so it sounds like for rough work, it's scary sharp or grinder, because solid diamonds stones aren't flat enough?
    -Dan

People have reported issues with the flatness of diamond stones. For me, it's that they start cutting aggressively when new, but after a short while the cutting speed slows down quite a bit.

One other option for rough grinding is to use a cast iron plate with carborundum powder, which is pretty fast, but that's not a real popular option.
    Last edited by Wilbur Pan; 10-06-2009 at 1:32 PM.

I wouldn't agree with that. These, for example, would work fine:

Blog Entries

Just My 2¢

My vote is for using sand paper on a flat surface. At this grit, the stone will be more costly than the paper.

My choice is Pressure Sensitive Adhesive backed paper on a 4-1/2 inch wide roll.

Supergrit.com has been a good source for me.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You got it exactly right.

Response to Sean regarding the DMT Duo-Sharp diamond stones

Sean, you show a photo of two new DMT stones. I have those stones as well as the DMT Dia-Sharp continuous stone in X-Coarse grit. Technically, you are correct that any of those stones in the coarser grits will easily, when new, establish a new primary bevel on a plane blade. After one or two honings of, say, a Lie-Nielsen low-angle jack plane iron, you might come to a different conclusion. The cutting ability of diamond stones degrades very rapidly. I would estimate that to put a new bevel on on the above blade (not a micro bevel) would take at an hour of constant lapping on a extra coarse diamond stone that is not brand new. Granted, from that point, it is then easy to put a tiny microbevel on and get back to work. I would agree with the other poster that 80 grit 3X Norton paper is much more up to the task.

Here's my experience: If I need to change a bevel or remove any serious amounts of metal, I use my grinder(s) (yeah, I have more than one because I was still learning the "buy the best once" lesson), so, no, I'm not routinely using my Duosharp to take 10 degrees of steel off a 2" wide blade. I do have a coarse/extra coarse Duo sharp, however, and use it routinely to start to flatten backs and when rehabbing vintage chisels and the like. This is my second one, because after about 3 years of use, my first had indeed lost some aggressiveness. In short, the Duosharp:

- would not be my first choice to remove serious amounts of steel
    - it would however work and be a lot faster than a 1000 grit stone/plate as suggested in the original post
    - does wear out like most other abrasives of any sort
    - but does not wear out at anywhere near the rate you suggest

YMMV

Sean,our millwork shop used your same stones,and they were not particularly flat. I had to choose a steel backed diamond stone from several to find a flat one. It's a little tricky to tell which stones are the flattest,because the steel rule sits on top of the diamonds,showing light under the straight edge all across the stone.

I tend to use Norton Water stones for most chisel and plane iron sharpening (1000, 4000, 8000) - and regularly flatten those. I have only the coarse/extra coarse Duo sharp for prelimianry shaping and back flattening. I've never even checked its flatness in any way, though unless it was grossly out of flat, I think it would still do okay on the coarse work I ask of it to get the steel ready for the finer stones. I've never used the DMT metal plate stones. I assumed I wouldn't like the fact that their abrassive can't be refreshed by flattening/ exposing the next layer of bound grit as with oil and waterstones. Good to know that they aren't flat either!