Thread: Champion Tool Co. "Buck Saw"? Pics Added

Champion Tool Co. "Buck Saw"? Pics Added

I just today took my first batch of tools out of a citric acid bath. That worked great by the way. I was blown away by the fact that I found the etch on a "Buck Saw" blade that was in there. I have owned the saw for about ten years and had grown used to the rust colored blade and fittings. But wanting to try out this new rust removal method, I took the saw apart and put all of the metal parts in the bath. When I took it out after about 20 hours and took some sandpaper and scrubbed off the gunk that was left on the blade and found a very strong etch. It has "Champion tool Co. " in an arch then "Toledo" directly under the arch and "Warranted Cast Steel" in a straight line along the bottom.

Does any one have any information on this company? I googled the company and didn't get any results that looked like they had any info. I really appreciate any help anyone can give me, I like to know who made these things that I keep around this long, after all, they were proud enough to put their name on it. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks,
    James
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James Davis; 10-07-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Add Pictures

Blog Entries
    You may have a rare item. So rare, that there is not a big market for it.

Found a news article from 1989:

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/artic...ing-falls.html

"We were going to be a $300 million subsidiary. Our goal was to challenge Snap-On Tools within 10 years," said Larry Manning, controller for the now-defunct Champion Tool Co.
    Instead, after only two months in operation, the hopeful young tool company was closed down, the victim of a takeover by a corporation that didn't see much future in the start-up.
    Champion Tool was a subsidiary of Toledo, Ohio-based Champion Spark Plug Co.
    jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Champion Tool Co. "Buck Saw"?

Thanks for the research Jim, but I do not think this saw was made in 1989.

James