Thread: 2x4 stud shelving - need connector brackets

2x4 stud shelving - need connector brackets

Does anyone know of stamped steel brackets that are used to construct storage shelves out of 2x4 studs? ABS ones are OK too.... I've seen both somewhere.

Just quick and dirty will do... I don't have time to cut rabbets/make it purdy.

I know I've seen them. I've searched the major catalogs... I'm just not calling them the right thing I guess. I know they're out there.

Thanks.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Could you be thinking of the framing hardware used to lock 2x material together to make floor joists and similar constructs.
    Simpson Strong Tie at Lowes

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Does anyone know of stamped steel brackets that are used to construct storage shelves out of 2x4 studs? ABS ones are OK too.... I've seen both somewhere.

Just quick and dirty will do... I don't have time to cut rabbets/make it purdy.

I know I've seen them. I've searched the major catalogs... I'm just not calling them the right thing I guess. I know they're out there.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Could you be thinking of the framing hardware used to lock 2x material together to make floor joists and similar constructs.
    Simpson Strong Tie at Lowes
    Yea... that's almost it and may do. Seeing these at Borg got me thinking... I remember these being sold as a shelving 'kit'. Perhaps 4 or 8 connectors in a box.

I've seen stuff like that in a shed kit. But now that you mention it, I may have seen that shelf kit at Marvin's (lumberyard chain in Alabama, maybe elsewhere).

Is this it, Amazon ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Is this it, Amazon ?
    That is indeed it. Thank you.

Now I gotta see if it's any cheaper to put standards/brackets on the wall and cut up some cheap plywood.

http://www.2x4basics.com/gallery.asp...Storage-System

I've made a few just from 2x4's and 3-1/2" deck screws. Just make a bunch of 24x96 frames and add posts. If they are going against a wall, delete the back posts and just attach the frames to the studs. I've substituted 1x4 for the 2x4 rails on the frames with good luck too, just because I had a bunch of 1x stock. I just use particle board for the shelves. OSB or ply would work too. If they are going to be free standing, you'll want to add a few diagonals on the sides and back for rack-resistance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just guided/helped a friend in "garage organization". Built shelves that were 20' long x 24" deep x 10' high. They are along a wall.
    1. Laid out pairs of 2x4 horizontal shelf stringers/cleats on floor. Marked @ 24" OC and nailed 2x4 joist hangers to them.
    2. Half of each pair was levelled + lagged through sheetrock to wall studs
    3. Temp clamped scrap wood to the wall cleats, projecting out into the garage, and used these to level/plumb vertical 2x4 - 10' @ 48" OC, using clamps to hold them in place.
    4. Clamped & levelled the mating 2x4 stringers to the verticals, and lagged them in place. These "outboard" stringers are inside the verticals, but could be done the other way just as well (except I didn't want to notch ply shelves around the verticals - PITA)
    5. Dropped a 20-7/8" joist in each pair of joist hangers. Don't need to nail joists into hangers, but you can.
    6. Dropped 1/2" ply (ripped by the nice folks at the Borg to 24") onto the stringers/cleats, and nailed them down - including into the joists.

If your local lumber store carries 2x3, you could use them just as easily (as long as you get the correct style joist hanger) and save some $$$.

Very HD. Very fast to install. The only sawdust we made was from the joists. The only thing that would have made it go faster was if I had done it myself because my friend is (a) not very handy, and (b) very opinionated. But hey - what're friends for? I been putting up with that noise for 35 years. Ummm.....plus.....actually.....well....striped bass season on the Cheasapeake starts in 10 days and he owns the house on the Potomac and the fishing boat!!
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have built many 2X4 shelves like shown in a previous post. Just keep the back posts and put the 2 end posts from the front on the sides. This solves the racking problem.

Simpson also makes a line of Rigid Tie Connectors for this sort of thing.

Lowe's stocks ShelfLinks (if you don't want to order them online).