Thread: swiss pear box

swiss pear box

Finally made something from the plank of swiss pear.Bought it down in san diego couple years ago.Great wood to work with hand planes easy in any direction.Really hard to tell the direction of the grain.I made a plane with a curved bottom to shape the lid.I used plane irons from david finick.400 grit sandpaper to round the corners.The finish is shellac and wax.Can you guess the wood on the handle?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work! I like the design and the curved top! Realy nice wood. as for the handle... I don't know!

beautiful box !!! I would guess that the handle is cocobolo
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Beautiful job, simple and clean lines. I love the way you offset the lock.

Very nice, and if those are handcut dovetails - excellent work!! I really like the smooth, touchable look, and the style is - well, comfortable. And, I mean that in a good way. Sometimes the effort to obtain "high style" works, but many times it doesn't. This box would not look out of place anywhere.

No idea on the handle. If it isn't oak, walnut, poplar or maple - it is out of my limited experience

Looks like snakewood

Very nice.... did you cut the DT's by hand? Very tight if you did. I'm guessing cocobola also but... that is a pure guess as I basically work with local hardwoods but do love cc..
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Dan got it its snakewood.I used my bandsaw with a thin fine tooth blade.What used to take me most of a day i can do in couple hours.some of the hard exotics will bend or dull a hand saw quickly.Happened to me.When my bandsaw blade gets dull i buy a new one.And get the same hand cut look.I still have to practice alot the more i practice the faster i get.Here are some dovetails cut in ebony.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice box !
    MARK

Two NICE boxes!

As others have said, your dovetails look very nice on both boxes.

Are you cutting both the tails and pins on the bandsaw? If so, is it pins first or tails first?