Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Steel City Tools Having Problems?

Is Steel City Tools Having Problems?

I'm in the market for a drill press. My budget tops out at $700. I narrowed my choices to a Delta, Palmgren and Steel City.

Palmgren seems to be more metalworking oriented, so I put them aside. The Delta 17-959 seemed decent until I read more than one unhappy customer review about quality control and excessive runout.

So I decided to buy the Steel City 20525 Variable Speed unit for $599.

But NOBODY carries it. I've called Steel City directly: their only published phone number is the tech department, and no one ever answers it. I've emailed them asking if the unit is still in production and where can I buy it, all with no response.

I will gladly entertain fellow Creeker comments on Steel City, your experience with them, or suggestions as to which DP you think may be best.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Have no idea how up to date (or out of date) it might be, but the Tool King site: http://www.toolking.com/products/156...areasale=20520 is showing it as being in stock.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

If I were you and if you are just a bit handy I would look for an old industrial drill press. They can be had for a song, although it does taake a bit of searching for the one. I have a pair of Walker Turners, and I paid $100 and $250 for them, and either one is better than just about anything on the market today. The big one has reverse, and power feed, oiling system,and can be set up to do threading, weighs over 1000 pounds and works like a charm.

Just an option, and with the money you save you can buy some other tool.......

The last time I was in the local Woodcraft, the subject of Steel City did come up. According to the guy I was talking too, the store owner was on the verge of dropping the line. Too many issues with the company not following through, returning phone calls, etc. He said that many of the folks that started the company have either moved on or been pushed aside. I know as much as what he told me, so if I'm wrong, so be it.

As for the other bit of advice on older machines, that is spot on. Older American made machinery is far superior to the stuff that is imported from China today. If you can find an older Delta/Rockwell, Powermatic, Walker-Turner, Clausing, Buffalo, Atlas to name a few drill press, it would be worth your time and money to buy it and get it running well. I've had my hands on a couple of Rockwells, an older delta 17, a Walker Turner 900 and most recently, a Wilton (Boice Crane). All these older presses have 6" quill travel, a feature you won't find on many (if any) new machines. My own machine is a Clausing 15" VS model that I would not trade away. They don't pop up every day, but if you are patient, you will eventually find one. Good Luck.

Three of the top guys at SC jumped ship to General, I think. I am a little worried whether they are going to survive.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I would suggest doing more homework on Steel City before you commit your hard earned money. Not answering their phone should be a big clue as to future service support. Woodcraft, in their latest catalog has eliminated all Steel City merchandise, although their website still shows some of their line. Steel City's website has not been updated for about six months now and shows no new products or company news. Further, serious website errors that appeared six months ago still appear.

Lest you think that I have a bias, I own their mortising machine and their Craftsman "zipcode' table saw#22140 (they made the saw for Sears and it was a successful big seller) and I am pleased with both products. Strangely, the saw has disappeared from Sear's website.

Wow, and I was looking at the planer... I hope they survive.

As far as the drill press, I'd look for a used deal too.... I picked up an old 3/4 hp Delta 16.5" for 150 bucks. With a rolling base and a box of junk.

I do not own either of these saws but if I were in the market today for a new table saw, I would get a hybrid from Grizzly or Jet.

I own a Delta if they tells you anything. It is a fine saw but it needs work to really feel solid. It is easy to adjust and it is easy to "true", but get more saw than you think you need that way you will not have regrets later. They rarely get replaced once they hit your shop floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder View Post
    I'm in the market for a drill press. My budget tops out at $700. I narrowed my choices to a Delta, Palmgren and Steel City.
    I am not sure what features you are looking for, but I see used drill presses all the time for sale. Nice floor standing ones (like Jet, Delta) for between 150-200.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    Have no idea how up to date (or out of date) it might be, but the Tool King site: http://www.toolking.com/products/156...areasale=20520 is showing it as being in stock.
    Thanks Tom. I did see that, it is not the variable speed 20525 model. I thought for an additional $40 the VS was worth it.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Westcott View Post
    I do not own either of these saws but if I were in the market today for a new table saw, I would get a hybrid from Grizzly or Jet.

I own a Delta if they tells you anything. It is a fine saw but it needs work to really feel solid. It is easy to adjust and it is easy to "true", but get more saw than you think you need that way you will not have regrets later. They rarely get replaced once they hit your shop floor.
    Thanks, Brad. I have a 4 year old Delta X5 table saw that is fabulous. I'm looking at Drill Presses now.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnstone View Post
    I am not sure what features you are looking for, but I see used drill presses all the time for sale. Nice floor standing ones (like Jet, Delta) for between 150-200.
    Paul, I agree those are attractive prices. Most of the DP's below $450 only have 3" to 3 1/2" of spindle travel. I do a lot of missionary style furniture with 4" or larger pieces, so I need decent spindle travel to keep me from having to drill part way through then turn it over and complete the hole.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

hmmm, so have we seen the end of granite covered machine work tops?

The Utterguys still have some in stock. Check their website and call and talk to Andy. http://www.utterguys.com/xcart/home.php?cat=579 I do not work for Utterguys I am just happy they are near by. Good Luck

Blog Entries
    This is sad to hear. They used to be 'Johnny on the spot' when it came to CS.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler