Thread: A Couple of Firsts

A Couple of Firsts

I decided it was time to branch out from my simple walnut and maple boxes and try some different woods and techniques. My inspiration for this has been the fantastic works of Bill Wyko and Ed Salee, not that I will ever be able to achieve their level of expertise, but it was fun trying something new. Other than the different woods, the firsts I refered to are bookmatched veneer and inlaid banding. The bookmatched veneer turned out O.K. except the seam was not as tight I would have liked. The article in Wood Magazine that I read did not suggest using veneer tape for the seam. I think it would have worked better than masking tape. When I selected the banding to inlay, I chose one based on looks rather than function. I thought it was so pretty that I didn't even consider mitered corners, much to my regret. Oh well, live and learn. I appreciate all comments and suggestions for improvement.

This jewelry box is for my granddaughter and is made of bubinga front and back and maple sides with a double double box joint. the top frame and base is made of padauk and wooden hinges of walnut. The finish is shellac and wax and blood, sweat, tears and curse words.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010014.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Pritchett; 10-06-2009 at 11:16 PM.

looks great. i like the inlayed joinery look, i've got to give it a shot one of these days.
    I REALLY like the look with the corners rounded off like that... gives a great wrapping effect.
    fledgling weekend warrior

Jim, I like the new look - particularly the top veneer/banded inlay. Very nice, and a great tribute to Wyko and Sallee. Nice color, and that finish of "blood, sweat, tears and curse words" makes for a nice patina

Very nice.

You know Bill Wyko's humidors encouraged me to make some small jewely boxes (of a far less caliber of course).

I didn't quite figure out how you guys do that layered edge joinery so I just used dovetails.

It's an amazing amount of labor and work for an item so small. What I want to see is a cross sectional sketch of the lid so I can figure out how to do the inlays, frame, and center panel.

Beautiful box, Jim. Love the combination of color.. in-lay.. corners and joinery. Looks like I am now surrounded by out-standing box makers with Ed on one side and you on the other. One of these days maybe but still stuck in a large carcass rut.. Got finish layed on one today so I wait for cure. I might design a box while waiting this week.

Very well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blog Entries
    Excellent looking boxes Jim! And, thank you for the kind words.... I would say you're well on your way to making more and more.... Box building can become quite addictive!

Outstanding work! If you have a large family and a lot of friends.... you'll have more boxes to make.... or so it seems to be the way it goes..

PS: Sarge, it is in fact a conspiracy to see some more boxes coming from Gwinnett County....
    Last edited by Ed Sallee; 10-07-2009 at 8:08 PM.

[QUOTE=Ed Sallee;
    PS: Sarge, it is in fact a conspiracy to see some more boxes coming from Gwinnett County....[/QUOTE]

A box comes from Gwinnett about every two months on average, Ed. Just a little larger than a small box. Start out as big boxes and then you take a little here and add a little back there.. cut-outs here.. arches there. End up as large boxes with plenty of room for a cool breeze to flow through.

I'll be posting one Monday if the cure time co-operates with me...

Regards...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Blog Entries
    Fantastic box Jim. I'm honored to be an inspiration. Here's a little tool that will go a long way in helping miter your inlays. It's pretty cheap too. This thing is great and a real time saver. Again great job. Enjoy your new addiction.
    http://inlays.com/Inlay_Cutting_Tool.asp
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

First off let me say how much I appreciate the kind words about my projects. Since I have been on this forum I've noticed a core group of craftsmen who seem to appreciate what positive reinforcement means to those of us who are struggling to develop new skills and techniques. To all you guys: Thanks a million.
    Chris,
    The "inlaid corners" you refer to are cut on an Incra LS Positioner. It will also make many styles of dovetails and box joints on the router table.
    If you will log-on to the FESTOOL OWNERS GROUP website and click on gallery, you will find an excellent tutorial by Bill Wyko showing building a humidor from start to finish. Very helpful.
    Sarge and Ed, My "homeboys"
    Thanks for checking in again and for the kind comments.
    Hope to get together soon.
    Bill,
    Thanks for your comments, It means a lot coming from you. thanks for the tip on the miter cutter. Looks great; just placed my order. Jim
    Last edited by Jim Pritchett; 10-09-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: mispelled word