Thread: Goo Gone safe to remove adhesive?

Goo Gone safe to remove adhesive?

Just wondering if anyone has used it and does it cause any problems when staining afterwards?

It works better than most other products I have tried so if it does not cause issues, I would like to use it.

As usual, other recommended products that are known to be safe are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. It seems that some vendors insist on using labels with adhesive to identify and price wood.

Brad, I'm no expert on goo gone but have used it, it seems to have a petroleum base to it, so I would think on bare wood it would not be a good idea. I would think it would soak into the wood and stay like any oil.

I use a card scraper to remove stickers or residue from them.

Braad,
    I keep a bottle in the shop just for removing labels and have had no problems on metal of plastic. My son just used a bottle for removing decals on a commercial vehicle he repurposed and it worked great. I second Jeff's concern over staining on bare wood. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on finished wood though. My first line of defense on label residue is a piece of duct tape, sticky side out and repeatedly patted on the label residue. The tape sticky usually pulls off the label sticky after a few pats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Braad,
    I keep a bottle in the shop just for removing labels and have had no problems on metal of plastic. My son just used a bottle for removing decals on a commercial vehicle he repurposed and it worked great. I second Jeff's concern over staining on bare wood. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on finished wood though. My first line of defense on label residue is a piece of duct tape, sticky side out and repeatedly patted on the label residue. The tape sticky usually pulls off the label sticky after a few pats.
    Thanks. I will givie it a try tomorrow.

I've used Goo Gone to remove label adhesive from wood (e.g., Baltic birch) with no visible residue. I don't recall attempting a finish over the spot, but most likely have done so. It does seem to take about twice as long to evaporate as mineral spirits. The label does say something about washing afterwards with soap and water, so there must be some form of residue.

use mineral spirits.

Look of the contents of Goo Gone at the MSDA ( Material Safety Data )
    website. I know that GOOF OFF has tolulene as the primary active
    ingredient and comprises the majority of the solution.
    In fact I bought a gallon of tolulene about 33 percent cheaper
    than a gallon of Goof OFF and it works great to remove latex
    paint

You pay Goo Gone's nice lemony smell. ;-)

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Brad

The problem is that you are going to have to use something. After you use the Goo gone, I would use soap and water, mineral spirits and then finally lacquer thinner or acetone.
    I have never had a problem with removing labels, scraping with a card scraper and cleaning with just lacquer thinner, but I rarely stain and staining adds something new to the equation.

BTW, where are you 'south' of Houston?, I'm in Kemah
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Brad,
    I remove any labels exactly as Tony has described by scraping off the label and removing the residue with laquer thinner. The area sands up no different than the rest of the board and I have had no problems staining with either solvent or water base stains.
    I think Tony has covered all the bases cleaning up the area after using a product like Goo Gone.

I tear of as much as I can and finish with lacquer thinner. I use all water borne products and if anything is finicky about compatibility issues its WB stuff. I have never experienced an adhesion problem. Lacquer flashes fast and if you are still concerned give it a quick sand with 220.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I used Goo Gone one time on a Starbuck's espresso machine to get some "goo" off and it literally bubbled and melted the paint.

I now use De-Solv-It, have even used it on my truck to take off sap - safe on paints and all materials I have ever used it on - great stuff.

It uses citrus oils.

The grocery stores carry it.