Thread: SawStop Surprise Package

Kelseyville in northern Calif (wine country)

Smile SawStop Surprise Package

I got a nice surprise today (surprise because I had forgotten about the upgrades that were to be sent to field testers of the PCS). The package included a new control box (supposedly more robust with magnetic contacts), new riving knife, new safety guard with dust collection port, improved dust port (4"), new manual, and a new blade gift for being a field tester. SawStop continues to be a class act and their attention to detail, manuals, follow through, and overall quality are among the best in my opinion. Supposedly this package brings the early field test models up to the latest production level. I do not have a lot of time on my PCS as I do most of my shop work in the winter but so far the saw has met or exceeded my expectations. Ed

I recently ordered replacement elevation/tilt lock keys from SS.

cost??

.25 ea!!

Sure they're just a Woodruff key, but many manufacturers would charge significantly more.

They're also just a 5 min replacement, which is REALLY nice. The locking is like new despite 1000's of users in 3 yrs (both of the unisaws that the SS's replaced had required major repair/rebuilds within that time period)

SS is still on my short list of companies with "exceptional service".

Keep up the good work SS.

-kg

Since I have been a field tester I have called SS for a few different reasons. One was the fact that I lost the screw that came with my dado insert. Real early on they did not have enough of the new toolless ZCI blanks so they sent me a reqular one with out the locking ring. Well I lost the screw for it. When I called for a replacement they sent me the screw no charge but also sent me a new toolless ZCI blank to replace the dado they had sent me. They have always been real pleasant to deal with and quick and helpful in anyway they could. Reminds me of the customer service of a local store.

I got my surprise package last night too! I've already installed the new dust port... the other upgrades will have to wait until the weekend when I have more time to fiddle!

Andy

The new ZCIs they sent with the upgrade package don't have the lockdown screws anymore... anyone know why?

Looks like you could drill it out if you wanted to...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Sowers View Post
    The new ZCIs they sent with the upgrade package don't have the lockdown screws anymore... anyone know why?

Looks like you could drill it out if you wanted to...

The lock down screw is not needed so I guess they just eleminated it.

After my care package from SS showed up today. I now have a total of 5 tooless locking inserts (none of which I have paid any $$ for) and 1 regular insert that I bought for dados when ordered the saw. SS have been nothing but nice to me. The titanuium blade that they included to us seems like a pretty nice blade. The carbide on it is larger than the teeth on my BORG freud blade and the dewalt cross cut blades I have. But still only have 1/2 as large as the teeth on my systimatic blade. Don't know if I will ever us the SS blade though. I wish it would have been a 24 tooth rip blade I could use an extra one of those.

I am not sure if I am going to instal the new switch. I will keep the old one on and if it fails I will install the updated one at that time. I am glade they included a new riving knife I always felt the OE riving knife was too thin for full kerf blades. And the new blade guard looks real cool, I am trying to decide if I should take the anti-kick back pawls off of it. I know I will not use it if they are on it, but if I take them off I don't think I will ever be able to put them back on.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 10-09-2009 at 1:31 PM.

Anyone know if the upgraded blade guard and ZCI will be compatible and offered for the Industrial Cabinet Saw?

As far as I know the blade guard will work on the ICS saw. I would give SS I call to make sure. The insert will not though that is specifically for the PCS saw.

Does anyone know what they are quoting for a 'wait' for new PCS orders?

I was in the local dealer yesterday, and they were pretty clueless about the whole PCS situation. They said they didn't push the "pre-orders" at all (I got the impression they 'couldn't be bothered'), and didn't even know it was generally available. I finally got one person to say she'd call to try to find out, but later in the day when I called back she still hadn't. *sigh*
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I guess I have to be a bit skeptical, but doesn't SawStop know you guys are field testers? Of course they are going to give the best in customer service to you guys - they're counting on good reviews coming out of you guys directly to us and anyone else you may talk to about their product.

I had a bent mount tab on my Delta Unisaw and a 5 minute polite conversation had a brand new cabinet being sent to my house free of charge. At 70 pounds, it couldn't have been a cheap thing to do - especially UPS shipping.

I'm not being rude, but just skeptical that SS is doing anything great and wonderful...they are providing good customer service - the same service we expect and typically receive from most of the companies out there...glad to hear they are at least holding up their end of the bargain.

Pawls lock in place

The new guard adds the feature of locking the longer pawls out of the way. Just raise the pawls till they catch on the clip. I always hated the pawls when using the incra miter sled but now that problem is solved. No reason to remove the pawls.

The shorter set of pawls do not lock but do not interfere so they are not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMorgan of Lititz View Post
    I guess I have to be a bit skeptical, but doesn't SawStop know you guys are field testers? Of course they are going to give the best in customer service to you guys - they're counting on good reviews coming out of you guys directly to us and anyone else you may talk to about their product.

I had a bent mount tab on my Delta Unisaw and a 5 minute polite conversation had a brand new cabinet being sent to my house free of charge. At 70 pounds, it couldn't have been a cheap thing to do - especially UPS shipping.

I'm not being rude, but just skeptical that SS is doing anything great and wonderful...they are providing good customer service - the same service we expect and typically receive from most of the companies out there...glad to hear they are at least holding up their end of the bargain.
    John it is nice to know that you have had good experiences with delta customer service. I, as well as many other have not had good experiences with delta. I have never of heard of any one having bad experiences with sawstop's customer service. The few times I have called into I have received the same nice service before and after I told them who I was. My one complaint about SS is if you buy anything from them (not from a distrubutor) they charge a mandatory $15 shipping charger no matter how small the order.

Joaquin,

Thanks for the heads up about the pawls I hadn't looked at the guard that closely. We'll see, I may acutally use it now.

I got my package today as well- anyone heard about the new elevation gears we are supposed to get? The blade was a nice bonus they definitely didn't have to throw in, they already gave us a discount... from all my email and phone conversations, the customer support has been top notch.
    Where did I put that?