Thread: Circular Saw Blade

Circular Saw Blade

I've got a small Ryobi BT3100 bench top table saw that is near impossible to cut sheet goods on. It just won't hold any alignment and the top is just too small to push sheet goods through. I plan to replace that saw with a cabinet saw down the road but after losing my job earlier this year that will take a little longer than I thought.

I want to switch over to using my circular saw and a straight edge to breakdown plywood for some shop furniture. Can someone recommend a decent circular saw blade that will minimize tearout and produce a decent glue surface?

Thanks

Check out the Freud blades. they're not that expensive and will produce a great result. The Rigid blades at Home Depot are also pretty good.

Freud Diablo 40 tooth. I would also recommend making a sawboard or looking at a guide system.

For under $11 to your door, Holbren has an Oshlun 40T that might pleasantly surprise you. The 40T Freud should do quite well. The Ridgid Titanium blades are made by Freud too, and are very similar. CMT has some decent 40T 7-1/4" blades in the same price range. If want to pony up some big bucks, I'm sure a Forrest is terrific also.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Clark View Post
    I've got a small Ryobi BT3100 bench top table saw that is near impossible to cut sheet goods on. It just won't hold any alignment and the top is just too small to push sheet goods through. I plan to replace that saw with a cabinet saw down the road but after losing my job earlier this year that will take a little longer than I thought.

I want to switch over to using my circular saw and a straight edge to breakdown plywood for some shop furniture. Can someone recommend a decent circular saw blade that will minimize tearout and produce a decent glue surface?

Thanks
    The best that Freud offers for cutting sheet goods with a 7-1/4" saw right now is the new LU79R007 with 60T and HiATB grind:

http://www.freudtools.com/p-16-thin-...-melamine.aspx
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Does anyone offer a 6 1/2 in 40t blade of any quality? I'm having trouble finding one for my cordless. I've got a Diablo 40T for my corded saw. But I'd like to have something for quick cuts with the cordless.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reet View Post
    Does anyone offer a 6 1/2 in 40t blade of any quality? I'm having trouble finding one for my cordless. I've got a Diablo 40T for my corded saw. But I'd like to have something for quick cuts with the cordless.
    I'll answer my own question. It appears that Oshlun has one. Not that well reviewed though.
    Last edited by Josh Reet; 10-09-2009 at 2:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'll answer my own question. It appears that Oshlun has one. Not that well reviewed though.
    I think Freud also makes some 6-1/2" blades like the LU86R006M20.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I think Freud also makes some 6-1/2" blades like the LU86R006M20.
    All I've been able to find in 6 1/2 from Freud is a 24T.

I did just find, and buy, a 6 1/2 40t by Tenryu from my local hardware store. $25

Blog Entries
    Try this one it is 40 tooth. Freud blade
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

While you're at the BORG, look for a saw guide. There are a few choices, from cheap C-clamp models to the self clamping ones. Better than trusting a board that may or may not be straight.
    16 buck 40T Freud blade works fine. The 60 may be 18 bucks. Cheap.

Ive been very happy with the Mitsubishi blades, in addition to Freud's.

My favorite guide is the wide All-in-One with a Teflon (HDPE) saw-base/slider. Get the older kind with a solid base that will act as a zero-clearance plate once you plunge your saw blade through it, as opposed to the kind with a wide pre-cut slot (or their general-purpose do-it-yourself plate). If you want to retain the safety of the drop-down blade guard, you can widen the BACK of the slot with a jig saw after it has been plunge cut, leaving the front of the slot at zero clearance. This has less play than the ball-bearing guide system, and has only slightly more drag.

A thin sheet of tempered hardboard (Masonite) attached to the bottom of the guide, and wider than the cut width of your saw, will be cut to the width of the saw after the first cut and will serve for exact cut-alignment. The hardboard will prevent splintering, like the zero-clearance plate, but only the one side under the saw and guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Try this one it is 40 tooth. Freud blade
    That's a 6 inch blade, not a 6 1/2. And it's got a 1/2 arbor, smaller than the more common 5/8.

That's a 6 inch blade, not a 6 1/2. And it's got a 1/2 arbor, smaller than the more common 5/8.
    You are correct. The D0641X is the 6-1/2" version with 5/8" arbor:
    http://www.diablotools.com/blades-6.html
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.