Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woods for outdoors

Woods for outdoors

Normally when I build something for outdoor use I just cheap out and swing by the lumberyard (not the big box stores) to pick-up some PT lumber. My MIL wants me to rebuild their "trash can shed". The current one has all kinds of really nice (probably pine) quarter round and cove trim on it. It looks really nice, other than it's rotting apart. As I mentioned, I would just grab some PT and have at it, but I have a feeling that sending pieces of a PT 2x through the router table to make coves and roundovers would probably destroy the bits.

What woods are good, sturdy, and cheap for outdoor use? Keep in mind that this will be painted, so grain and the like don't really matter.

What kind of plywood is rated for outdoor use? (ie., what do I ask for at the lumber yard)

I'd go with Cypress or Western Red Cedar but I don't know how available or affordable they are in your neck-'o-the-woods.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

cypress, any type of cedar, white oak.

cypress and cedar we get locally down south for 1-3 bucks a foot depending on length and quality. i suspect you could get it up north for around 5 since it's that cheap here? maybe someone else from your area can confirm or deny that.

Cedar would work. Have you considered a man made board like Azek or Koma. You can get pressure treated plywood but I think it is usually CDX.

Cypress is running 4.20/bf rgh
    Red Cedar is 7.05/bf S4S
    (from the the only local supplier that carries them)

Spanish Cedar 6.15/bf

White Oak $3.60/bf

If those are the best choices, I think I stick with the oak. It will be painted anyway.

How made are the man made boards to run through the router table?

well they're mixed with PVC, i surely wouldn't want to breathe that dust...

but i haven't cut them personally, seen them used around here a bit for exterior trim.

The pvc boards saw and rout well but produce a LOT of static charged sawdust. The edge has more of a texture to it than the pressed faces. Everything we have done with it did not get painted, just left it white and it still looks good. Use stainless nails and screws.

>> but I have a feeling that sending pieces of a PT 2x through the router table to make coves and roundovers would probably destroy the bits.

No, pressure treating does not change the character of the wood. The only problem is that the chemicals can cause your cast iron tooling and surfaces to become rusted and stained.

I've routed lots of PT and just used kerosene or mineral spirits to wipe off the bits and the surface of the tools. Never had a problem.

Is this item going to be painted or clear coated? Painting is much preferred for something like this.
    Howie.........

I'd go with Cedar IMHO
    Jerry

You could probably get Koma (poly) board for about $4.50 -$5.00/bf. I don't know if it comes in other colors but I've made adirondack chairs from it in white.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anthony

Where in New Hampshire are you? I may be able to help you out, how much lumber are you looking for? I have a fair amount of White Cedar on hand it is rough so you would have to mill it.

Let me know if you may be interested in it? Where where you getting your other wood prices?

Dave Dionne

Sorry forgot to mention that the Woodcraft store in Newington is having a truckload sale for lumber tommorrow, or so I was told there last week, they had some nice cypress there last week but not sure of the price

Hope this helps Dave

Use cedar. It's friendly to work and it will last longer than you will.

Not real experienced in this topic but I would be careful of the dust if you use a router on pressure treated stuff. Older stuff had arsenic in it, the newer stuff has copper and other not good to breath stuff. Personally I only work pressure treated stuff outside, with the wind at my back to blow the dust away from me.

Of the woods you listed, I would go with white oak. Usually cheaper than cypress, and the "picnic" table I have at my lake lot is 15-20 yr old and fine. Grandad and an Uncle I think built it, built heavy too, to deter "kids" from borrowing it for a party a few lots down. The leg ends were soaked in motor oil, but otherwise its got no finish on it, just sanded every year or two to keep splinters down. It has worn a lot better than our P.T. deck.

Jim