Thread: Did I screw up?

Did I screw up?

Went to an estate auction this morning and they had some old ww tools there. Among the items was a couple planes. All really pretty tough needing a lot of work but there was this one that puzzled me. It said Stanley across the front toe and in front of the web, behind the front know was stamped "No. 4C". No other visible marks/stamps of any kind visible anywhere.

The plane didn't have a lever cap really but had a retainer similar to the Liberty Bell series with a bar running across it near the bottom and a thumb screw near the top for tightening. The plane was only maybe 1 3/4" wide but about 9" long. The blade was ground to a distinctive curve and the mouth was about 5/16" opening.

I was sorta scratching my head about it. Never thought to take a picture, probably should have.

I didn't stay to watch it sell as it was gonna be a long time before they got to it but I suppose my luck some stupidly rare thing just got away. Unless it was a Frankenplane.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

It probably wasn't No. 4C, but it was No. 40, a scrub plane. Not rare, so don't feel too bad.

Yup I just looked it up on the blood and gore site and thats it. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan5.htm#num40

Thanks for the help!

I don't feel so bad now.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green