Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic plastic restore

Red face Classic plastic restore

Hardly know where to start...My questions will be many as I am a complete novice at this.

I have a South Coast 22' with aluminum mast and boom. It has been out of the water for three years and brought it home to my shop for refurbishing. I can handle the brightwork but, will need some help with making her water tight.
    The hatch for her companionway, which is fabricated of Fiberglas, is sloppy and very difficult to move fore and aft. I'm thinking I would like to rebuild it out of segmented cherry/walnut/maple. Does this make any sense?
    A 4" hole was cut in the cabin top to make way for an air scoop that never arrived. I can turn a cover/plug for it and segment some maple and walnut to dress it up.
    The forward hatch had a solar battery operated fan added by a previous owner and it never worked when I got it. I don't know if I want to try and repair, replace or remove and build a new hatch cover of wood.

Do you have some picture of the boat and of the area of intended work?
    thank's

A sliding cover atop a 3-board door in the main companionway? Or something else.

Sounds OK so far except you should omit the maple. It likes to mold beneath the finish in marine environments. Walnut and cherry will work fine.

And you can make a decorative wood patch to cover almost anything. Just make it so it doesn't warp, seal it well and screw it down uniformly into the bedding. In a glass hull, insure you double drill even your screw pilot holes so water doesn't ingress to the core beneath the glass.

Painted qsawn mahogany covering bolt holes:

The same stock in a cover for the horn hole:

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I will be back at my shop tomorrow and take some pictures of the mentioned areas.

Thanks for the info on Maple. I would have used it along with the walnut and cherry because that is what I use in making some pepper and salt mills. Thanks for the heads up...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian George View Post
    . I'm thinking I would like to rebuild it out of segmented cherry/walnut/maple. Does this make any sense?
    Segmented like in a turning?

You can also make a decorative cover from a sheet of bronze or marine brass. This could be a topside hole patch just as easily as trim for a rudder shaft.

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Yes, that is what I was thinking. Similar to what one would do with bowls or pepper mills, etc.

Having been a mariner for several years, I like the idea of using brass. Maybe straight forward is the most elegant. I just want to dress my lady up and make her proud, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser View Post
    A sliding cover atop a 3-board door in the main companionway? Or something else.

Sounds OK so far except you should omit the maple. It likes to mold beneath the finish in marine environments. Walnut and cherry will work fine.

And you can make a decorative wood patch to cover almost anything. Just make it so it doesn't warp, seal it well and screw it down uniformly into the bedding. In a glass hull, insure you double drill even your screw pilot holes so water doesn't ingress to the core beneath the glass.

Painted qsawn mahogany covering bolt holes:

The same stock in a cover for the horn hole:

Yes! I'm wanting to redo the sliding top in wood over a 3-board door in the companionway. I have the pictures and now I have to figure out how to get them into this forum...

In my college days I worked in a boatyard that sold the SC22. It's a decent if somewhat basic boat that was available from the manufacturer in almost any stage of completion. Before you rush to replace the companionway hatch with one made of wood, try to figure out why the fits seem sloppy and why it's sticking. If the hatch is otherwise in good shape, fix it and keep it. You didn't mention but I'm assuming it's not a pop top. As for the 4" hole for the ventilator you don't have, why not make a nice wooden Dorade Box. If you can get the solar panel forward hatch to work keep it. Solar power and sailboats work well together. Also, I would look for other SC22 owners on the web.

boat restore

here are some pix to help explain:

It is not a pop top. I posted some pix earlier today, much to my surprise. The hatch IS OK, but thinking I want to dress her up with some wood. I tried using some UHMV plastic for the companionway to ride on but, to no avail. A dorade box would be rather cool, wouldn't it!
    Also, the hatch covers in the cockpit are too weak and I'm sure that's a source of water getting into the cabin.

Here's a door:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10383

You just have to puzzle out a sliding hatch. You can copy the original, or look around Glen-L, Gardner's, MacIntosh's and Chappell's books for a design.

That's exactly what I have in mind. I think it can be done by using the glass door as a template. The troubling part is what do I do with the glass sliding hatch cover. A lot of water seps in through that sloppy hatch cover.