Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rail & Stile Fit

Rail & Stile Fit

I just bought a new matched rail and stile set for my shaper. (MCLS) (Separate cutters for each piece). I was hoping for a "fits like a glove" snug fit, but there is quite a bit of gap around both the roundover profile and the tongue. I can move the the pieces about 1/32" or better up and down. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be like my dadoes that basically hold themselves together?

If this is normal, how do I clamp my doors together so as to make sure that the stile remains at 90 degrees to the stile and doesn't end up twisted up or down?

Blog Entries
    - Hold the bits up to each other, they should fit like a glove. If not, call MLCS.
    - Check your depth to be sure the tongue is seating (near) completely into the groove but not bottoming out.
    - How are you assuring that your rail passes the cutter at a solid 90* during the cope cut? This is often a problem.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If I put the "roundover" of the one bit "inside" the "cove" of it's mate, there is ~ 1/16th of gap. The 1/4" groove cutter has all kinds of room in it's mate's "slot".

I use a sled against both an infeed and outfeed fence to maintain the 90 degrees.

Guess I will call MLCS and see what goes.

OK MLCS says gotta add shims. Unfortunately, they didn't include any in set. Guess I'm tossing out 8 rails and making new ones.

Maybe I am confused, but I thought that a "matched set" had already been matched by the supplier, and the user did not have to add shims. I have bought many times from MLCS. Their response disappoints me.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Call MLCS again and TELL them that if the cutters don't fit together exactly, then they are not a matched set. TELL them you want a new set, or people at the Creek will be informed of the bad news.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I bought a Freud rail, style, raised panel "set" (3 separate cutters) and the sections fit together perfectly, but not snug, no gaps, but no force required to put together. If you bump them, they will separate, but I think once you get some glue in the joints, it tightens up nicely. I figured that the way they are supposed to fit.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Sometimes even expensive bits [whiteside] need to be shimmed to get a good fit.

Just have them send the shim pack.

I've had to shim lots of rail and stile sets over the years, often just to get the fit that I like. I also cut test pieces if for no other reason than to be sure I haven't botched something in the setup. I have killed too much wood in the past by not checking.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

I have the Freud set and had a terrible time trying to get them to fit. Returned the first set, numerous conversations with tech support at Freud (very good). Finally we decided that we needed more shims than what they had sent with the set.

They sent me some more and the end result is acceptable but I wasted a lot of wood "assuming" that they were "matched"

I used the online chat to "diagnose" my problem. The first response was: Did you read the online "How To" section? I said yes, but it was only for set up of the bits. The response: No, there is a troubleshooting guide. I looked again and there was ANOTHER pdf to look at. Reading this one, it mentioned that shims may need to be added to make a snug fit.

I asked the CSR 2 things: 1) Why did the set up tell me to make the tongue cuts first? (The ones that would ultimately need to be shimmed). 2) Why wasn't a shim set included with my bits ($200 bucks should've been a COMPLETE set).

Only response I got was: Call toll free number, can't order online, and get a shim set for $4 postage paid.

Lots of hassle IMO for spending big bucks for a matched set that I have buy add'l shims to get matched. Almost like me selling a bookcase and selling shims separately to the customer in case it doesn't sit level or it wobbles...........
    Last edited by Kevin Godshall; 10-10-2009 at 7:58 AM. Reason: clarification

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory View Post
    I have bought many times from MLCS. Their response disappoints me.
    They disappointed me for the last time a long time ago. That is why I asked for a comparison on the bits first thing; experience. I know others here use them and are satisfied but, I gave up on them.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-10-2009 at 9:00 AM.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Godshall View Post
    I looked again and there was ANOTHER pdf to look at. Reading this one, it mentioned that shims may need to be added to make a snug fit.
    In your defense as to your expectations, mine would be the same when their instructions clearly state "Matched Rail and Stile: Two separate bits make the required two cuts. No re-assembly needed."

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    In your defense as to your expectations, mine would be the same when their instructions clearly state "Matched Rail and Stile: Two separate bits make the required two cuts. No re-assembly needed."
    Thank you. I don't feel like a total stooge.

I guess in all my frustrations, I'm wondering why shims aren't even listed on their site anywhere. There are bushings and spacers, but no shims. As far out as the 2 "matched" bits are, there should have been a big blinking button for "ORDER YOUR SHIMS HERE".

Guess I will have to write an email to Customer Relations at MLCS. This is not satisfactory to me at all.

Blog Entries
    Seems odd that they didnt fit from the factory. Usually you dont need to adjust them on your "new" matched set. I rarely have to adjust them after the sharpener gets them but I dont use MLCS. Maybe the out of the box fit is based on the price....