Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Tool Chest

Christmas Tool Chest

Attached are some photos of a Craftsman style tool chest that I made for my son for Christmas. You may recognize the plan as having been in Wood a year or two ago.
    I did not have the QSRO/WO that the plan called for but I did have some beautiful Curly black cherry that my wife found at NC Hardwoods. My pictures do not do this gorgeous wood justice. The panels in the door and on the back of the case are all bookmatched although my pictures do not do a good job of showing this. There are at least 6 coats of finish on all surfaces( more on most) lovingly hand rubbed. My fingers hurt.
    The drawers and tool tote are lined with heavy felt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

What an attractive design. it will be well received I'm sure. I really like the wood choice.
    The pull out bottom tray is an added feature that is really nice but would never end up back in the cheat, due to my own uncleaness.

Look great!!
    Jon

Michael,
    That is a truly beautiful tool chest. The figure of the cherry is awesome.

I like the hardware also. Where did you get it?
    "If you can't fix it, feature it."
    Kevin Swindle

The hardware is exactly what was called for in the Wood article. Lee Valley. They carry it in their hardware specialty catalog. Thanks for looking.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Very nice! You really aren't going to put tools in that masterpiece?
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Outstanding!! Worthy of tools or any other valuables, for sure...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Byron, I am planning on filling it with tools that I have made. Over the years I ahve made quite a few small tools that I have seen in various mags. I have a scratch awl, square, scraper plane, beading plane, a couple of wooden mallets, and some other things that I want him to have. Nothing exciting I guess just some things that Dad made.
    Big Mike

Mike that isn't a tool box. That's a beautiful piece of furniture.

DK

Super cool!!!!...I would put that in my shop any day!!...can you make me one....????....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford
    Byron, I am planning on filling it with tools that I have made. Over the years I ahve made quite a few small tools that I have seen in various mags. I have a scratch awl, square, scraper plane, beading plane, a couple of wooden mallets, and some other things that I want him to have. Nothing exciting I guess just some things that Dad made.
    Trust me; he will value them for a life time!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

That is a tool chest?? I doubt that anyone would use it for tools.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Outstanding work ! I would use something like that to store all my valuable and cherished hand planes, no chance of a hammer or something unelegant like that deserves such a house. Your son will love it always.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford
    Mike this is wonderful and we would love to see the great stuff going in it too
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Michael, after seeing this, my first question is, what is quarter sawn oak? That curly cherry looks fantastic!

My second question is, did you mean Christmas 2005 or 2004? I'm sure you meant 2004 because there's no way any woodworker could be that organized to have a present done for 2005. Right, help me out here.

Seriously, great job all the way around. Your son will be proud of you and proud for years to come when he says, "My dad made this for me!" Way to go! That's what it's all about.

Michael,

Beautiful work...this is sure to be an heirloom passed down for many generations. Should have a rich dark look by then!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.