Thread: Cutting boards, serving boards

Cutting boards, serving boards

Here is my latest flat work - 2 mostly identical cutting boards (one for the wife, one for the step-daughter) made from end grain hard maple and walnut, and 3 serving boards, from quarter sawn white oak. Finished with 2 coats of salad bowl finish. Enjoy! Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

they are all very nice Mike. The grain in that oak is great

putting ends on the end grain is a nice touch too, I'm not sure I've seen that before
    fledgling weekend warrior

They all look great, Mike, but I really like the subtle pattern in the end grain boards. Usually end grain boards have the high contrast woods, which I do like, but this is different and interesting.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Nice build, Mike...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

thanks for the kind words, all - i really enjoy showing off the fruits of my labor (read: obsession: woodworking). i'll take credit for the craftsmanship, such as it is, but will always pass on compliments about the beauty of the wood to mother nature. mike

I really like the two end grain boards.The oak ones a nice too.Have you considered the oak may show staining from a chefs knife?

Great job, Mike, and as others have noted the QSWO is really nice! Time will tell, but i am wondering if the ends on the end grain boards may not move in unison with the end grain board - kind of like a breadboard end effect. Depending on how you joined the two, that may not cause a problem.

andrew, don't really know, hope it won't but it's ok with me if it does - au natural, you know? john, the walnut ends are end grain oriented like the rest of the board; here's hoping that everything moves (minimally) together, and stays together! mike

Real Nice

Mike,

Real nice work. How did you do the joins on the cutting boards; both the white oak pieces and the walnut ends?

Thanks,
    Todd
    ---------------------
    ULS VersaLASER 2.30, 25Watt, Blue
    Corel Draw X4
    Standing on first base with a hockey stick waiting for a field goal.

Nice and clean........well done!

Love the qswo items - practically Shaker simplicity and beauty. Well done.

I would only comment that maybe finger holes or cut-in for ease in handling might be useful on the larger item. Possibly even a hole large enough for all four fingers in one of the corners. But beautiful as they are, too.